WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Ken Russell (Read 28264 times)
Reply #15 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 4:14pm

Hazelmutt   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

R_F_: Quote:
Good idea but bizarre is kind of a relative term. Back in the 90's I dated a woman sort of like Amanda Donohue's character in "Lair of The White Worm".

Oh, really?  I am very interested in seeing that film now.  Wink

Most of the guys I dated before I met and married Mr. Right were like Tucker and Dale, only dumber.

And, finally -- Garen -- SteamPunk!?  I need to get new meds, at least for the day of the 'thon.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Dec 4th, 2011 at 9:02pm

Joe Neff   Offline

Concerning Altered States never screening at the Marathon, it was supposed to show at one of the last years at the Coolidge, but Warner Bros. informed Garen late in the game that the print was unshowable. 

Unfortunately, with the WB drastically de-emphasizing their 35mm repertory catalog, the 'thon's best best would likely be a digital screening...and the WB DVD of the film was one of its first wave of product, so the image would probably look somewhat cruddy blown up that large.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 10:10am

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Joe Neff wrote on Dec 4th, 2011 at 9:02pm:
Unfortunately, with the WB drastically de-emphasizing their 35mm repertory catalog, the 'thon's best best would likely be a digital screening

NO WAY.

I would actually refuse to run it.  Sparks would fly but I would win ("accidentally" breaking the disc in two would aid me in my quest).  Some of us take pride in our work, & putting on a good show!
     And I fail to find any ambiguity in the sentence "Altered States in 70mm ONLY."

Quote:
and the WB DVD of the film was one of its first wave of product, so the image would probably look somewhat cruddy blown up that large.

No sh!t, Sherlock!

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 8:19pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Concerning the ALTERED STATES print that almost was shown. It came from a lead to a 70mm print that had played in California at a film festival. Either that print became unplayable or was found to be when they showed it there. Not sure if we checked on a 35mm print at the time.

Like I noted earlier, a 35mm print has played in L.A. and elsewhere in recent years. No 70mm print has played anywhere I know of since that "unplayable" print a number of years back. If it is "playable" and rentable in February, we should show it. We can dream about a 70mm 6-track print all we want, but we shouldn't let a near impossible dream get in the way of the here and now. ALTERED STATES deserves a Marathon slot after all these years.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 8:27pm

Joe Neff   Offline

L.A. is right.

Yeah, go ahead....quote me on that one.

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 11:11am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Dec 6th, 2011 at 8:19pm:
We can dream about a 70mm 6-track print all we want, but we shouldn't let a near impossible dream get in the way of the here and now. ALTERED STATES deserves a Marathon slot after all these years.

I am trying like crazy to have the 70 at least partially ready before the thon this year; right now, we're incapable of showing anything: the equipment I have labouriously found has yet to be installed.  I'll keep everyone updated when there is something I can update (I recently got hold of some major missing pieces).
     That said, a 35mm Altered States print would have only the standard Dolby A soundtrack.  Has anyone on this board actually seen & heard a 70mm presentation of this movie?  Because if you had, you really wouldnt want to see it any other way, and if that means waiting for SF38, it would be well worth it, believe me.
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2011 at 3:02pm by David the Projectionist »  

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 12:45pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

from the looks of things it appears that this kent russell guy is going to get himself a tip o' the hat at this years marathon. i will just repeat my previous statements about alterred states. it sucks. he takes a shower and grows chicken feet. hallucination maybe? ...or maybe noooooot? i never figured out the symbolism of the chicken feet.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #22 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 12:51pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I don't love the movie, but it is a far cry from "sucks". 

I would rather see the movie in 35mm this year if it is really  available.  I am as fussy as others about formats.  If the print is relatively clean, intact and clear, I will watch it.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 6:56pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The point of my post is that there are no known 70mm prints out there. L.A. has 70mm fests every year, and the last time a 70mm print of ALTERED STATES played it was years ago (and that was reportedly "unplayable"). If a 70mm print magically appears, I'm sure we'll try and book it.*

However, we do know that rather recently a 35mm print has played in theaters. If we can get it - we should. When you think of all the mediocre (and less) films that have played the 'thon since ALTERED STATES came out in 1980, it's a pretty big oversight that needs to be corrected.

* And, yes, I saw ALTERED STATES in 6-track 70mm at the Sack 57 back when it was released. A college buddy of mine  came out of the theater literrally shaken. He said that he had been "completely blown away" by the experience. Sure, I'd love to re-create that again at the Marathon, but it just doesn't seem likely that such a print exists.
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2011 at 8:33pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #24 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 9:39pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 6:56pm:
The point of my post is that there are no known 70mm prints out there. L.A. has 70mm fests every year, and the last time a 70mm print of ALTERED STATES played it was years ago (and that was reportedly "unplayable"). If a 70mm print magically appears, I'm sure we'll try and book it.*

However, we do know that rather recently a 35mm print has played in theaters. If we can get it - we should. When you think of all the mediocre (and less) films that have played the 'thon since ALTERED STATES came out in 1980, it's a pretty big oversight that needs to be corrected.

* And, yes, I saw ALTERED STATES in 6-track 70mm at the Sack 57 back when it was released. A college buddy of mine  came out of the theater literrally shaken. He said that he had been "completely blown away" by the experience. Sure, I'd love to re-create that again at the Marathon, but it just doesn't seem likely that such a print exists.

Most of us who are old enough saw t that way.  It does not matter.  Let's just get it anyway that we can as long as it is clear, intact and clean.  Your friend did not get out much I guess if he was "blown away" by that experience.  Hyperbole much?  I don't think that is that " a pretty big oversight" but if it is available we should get it.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 11:21pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 6:56pm:
However, we do know that rather recently a 35mm print has played in theaters. If we can get it - we should.

Well, I think I know where there IS a 70mm print, despite what you say, & if Garen actually books this title (a coin toss, if reality is to be acknowledged), I'll investigate & see if I can put my hands on it, provided, of course, that my system at the theatre is set up to run it.
     But, as I said, it was printed on SP stock, so there will be fading, just not to red.

Quote:
And, yes, I saw ALTERED STATES in 6-track 70mm at the Sack 57 back when it was released.

Well, Tony, I helped to set that up, believe it or not.  The bass was not to be believed, right?

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 11:29pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Frank wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 9:39pm:
Most of us who are old enough saw it that way.  It does not matter.

Well, actually, yeah: it does, Frank; it really does.
     As the only person on this board who has actually run both versions, the difference between the two is not small, & thats a fact.

Quote:
Let's just get it anyway that we can as long as it is clear, intact and clean.

Heres what this boils down to: do you people want the best possible presentation of a movie or not?  And speaking as someone who does, I would want to run the version that kicks ass, & the 35 of that will not kick ass.
     Of course, this is all academic, because who knows if Garen will even book the frigging thing, so we may be arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 11:53pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

David the Projectionist wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 11:29pm:
Frank wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 9:39pm:
Most of us who are old enough saw it that way.  It does not matter.

Well, actually, yeah: it does, Frank; it really does.
     As the only person on this board who has actually run both versions, the difference between the two is not small, & thats a fact.

Quote:
Let's just get it anyway that we can as long as it is clear, intact and clean.

Heres what this boils down to: do you people want the best possible presentation of a movie or not?  And speaking as someone who does, I would want to run the version that kicks ass, & the 35 of that will not kick ass.
     Of course, this is all academic, because who knows if Garen will even book the frigging thing, so we may be arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Dave it matters to you.  I too have seen it both ways and it does not matter to me.  Of course I would prefer 70mm to 35mm.  However, I would prefer 35mm over a promise never realized. 
It's a silly discussion for me anyway, I would not be on the hunt for a Ken Russell film as if it were going to be the crown jewel of the thon. 
If you can get 70mm up to running speed and you can get a print fine.  If it is in doubt I will go with the sure thing.

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 10:33am

kirok   Offline
God Member

ken wrestle or no ken wrestle, a demonstration is in order. that makes it a gild edged priority for dave to get 70 mm capabilty. then we shall see what the deal is.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #29 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 4:21pm

Jon   Offline
MA

I just remember that when I saw "Altered States" when it was new, downtown next to the old Ho Jo's at a preview or something, the theater was so frigid I shivered through the entire film (in about the 4th row center), and the sound was so overpowering that, although I should have liked that, I was just exhausted at the end and couldn't hear my wife complaining.  And I remember being pretty intellectually underwhelmed by the way the premise was realized when it was all said and done.
Still, even so, I'd see it again - wearing a jacket, of course.... Wink  --70mm would be de rigeur, too, of course.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3