WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
BRAINSTORM 1983 Douglas Trumbull (Read 23790 times)
Nov 18th, 2011 at 7:34pm

Metaluna   Offline

Discussion of BRAINSTORM Split off in it's own thread from Today's News Stories - admin

R_F_Fineman wrote on Nov 18th, 2011 at 9:25am:
Her death occured after the wrap party to "Brainstorm" which has not played since SF-9.

The tragedy overshadowed what I recall was a good SF movie, with a good cast: she costarred with Christopher Walken and the underrated Cliff Robertson. It had a good premise, a memory recording/playback device, which would be retreaded in "Strange Days" (and probably some other titles if we were to put our minds to it.) I have not seen it since anywhere, and a whole generation of moviegoers have no idea that Walken was not always the professional creepy guy or that Natalie Wood actually had a career after the 1960's.

I remember it being a pretty good movie too. It showed up recently on Comcast so I watched it for the first time since the marathon...

Huh

It...has not aged well.

kirok wrote on Nov 18th, 2011 at 12:58pm:
what kind of wood doesn't float?

Non-witch wood? Lignum Vitae?
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2011 at 12:08pm by L.A. Connection »  

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 8:18pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

kirok wrote on Nov 18th, 2011 at 12:58pm:
what kind of wood doesn't float?

Natalie Wood!

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 10:03am

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

R_F_Fineman wrote on Nov 18th, 2011 at 9:25am:
The tragedy overshadowed what I recall was a good SF movie, with a good cast: she costarred with Christopher Walken and the underrated Cliff Robertson.

You left out Oscar-winning Louise Fletcher!
     I ran this flick in 70mm at the old Cinema 57, where they set the lenses up incorrectly for the format.  Couldnt do anything about it, because it wasnt my booth.

Quote:
It had a good premise...

Actually, it's a pretty bad movie (Trumbull never could direct), but the SFX are top-notch (as you would expect).
     The film was shot in both 35 & 70mm (the latter being reserved for the "brainscan" sequences).

Quote:
We'll probably have to put "Brainstorm" down among the titles never to be seen on the big screen again for lack of a print.

Be great if a 70mm print existed!  Love to run that!
     But the movie still blows....
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2011 at 1:30pm by David the Projectionist »  

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 12:07pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Lousie FLETCHER, not Lasser.

I haven't seen BRAINSTORM in quite a while. I found it a pretty invigorating film at the time. I never did see it in 70mm, though.

And, the best news is that 70mm prints have played both in London and L.A. in the past 5 or so years, with the London screening only last year.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 11:20pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Nov 19th, 2011 at 12:07pm:
Lousie FLETCHER, not Lasser.

Right, right: too many Louises floating around in my head...

Quote:
And, the best news is that 70mm prints have played both in London and L.A. in the past 5 or so years, with the London screening only last year.

Theres a chance that the first phase of the 70 install will begin next month.  Cross your fingers!

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 11:30pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Of course running a good movie in 70mm would be even better still.  Brainstorm...

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 11:59pm

Metaluna   Offline

Frank wrote on Nov 19th, 2011 at 11:30pm:
Of course running a good movie in 70mm would be even better still.  Brainstorm...

I'd take Brainstorm over Zardoz. Though maybe a nap or a meal over either.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 11:57am

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

Metaluna wrote on Nov 19th, 2011 at 11:59pm:

Can we have a Brainstorm costume contest?

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 12:22pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Quite curious why folks are so down on BRAINSTORM. It's a pretty well regarded SF film overall. Like I said, I haven't seen it in decades, but I thought it was darn good at the time.
I recall at the time there being a split between critics who saw the film visually and those who seemed to only take it literally. Trumbull, of course, was the mastermind behind the effects of
, and, though not as profound, Kubrick's influence on him is evident. SILENT RUNNING is a flawed film, but it's visuals have a poetry about them.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 1:33pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

zardoz and silent running must reprise at the marathon at some point. brainstorm...meh.
[|;{|

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 1:34pm

Metaluna   Offline

Caleb451 wrote on Nov 20th, 2011 at 11:57am:
Metaluna wrote on Nov 19th, 2011 at 11:59pm:

Can we have a Brainstorm costume contest?

Maybe a recumbent bike race.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 1:39pm

Metaluna   Offline

L.A. Connection wrote on Nov 20th, 2011 at 12:22pm:
Quite curious why folks are so down on BRAINSTORM. It's a pretty well regarded SF film overall. Like I said, I haven't seen it in decades, but I thought it was darn good at the time.

I liked it decades ago. Did not like it as much a few months ago. Looks like if you have Comcast it's available to watch online if anyone wants a second look.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 2:49pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I'm not really one to use the term "dated" like its it an expletive. I'm sure the technology isn't up to date, but, like COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT, I would like to think the film works on a dramatic level.
I am one who rarely re-sees a film years later and completely flips my opinion of it. Good drama is good drama (or comedy or SF) regardless of advances in special effects, scientific discoveries or social norms. One has to look at the film in the context of when it was made. If you are unable to see movies (or books or music) in that way - it's your loss.

Metaluna wrote on Nov 20th, 2011 at 1:39pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Nov 20th, 2011 at 12:22pm:

I liked it decades ago. Did not like it as much a few months ago. Looks like if you have Comcast it's available to watch online if anyone wants a second look.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 3:14pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Nov 20th, 2011 at 2:49pm:
I am one who rarely re-sees a film years later and completely flips my opinion of it. Good drama is good drama (or comedy or SF) regardless of advances in special effects, scientific discoveries or social norms.

Well, sweetie, what if youre someone who thought it blew chunks at the time?  Can that person maintain his opinion?  The story was frail & the denouement was ridiculous, cliched, & eye-rollingly stupid.  In fact, it was almost exactly the same as a similarly dumb SF movie called The Black Hole.

Quote:
One has to look at the film in the context of when it was made. If you are unable to see movies (or books or music) in that way - it's your loss.

Creative works either stand the test of time or they dont.  I'm sick of this crap that you have to look at aging swill like Strangers on a Train in the "context" of the time it was made.  The film has dated.  Badly.
     On the other hand, La Strada is as good as it ever was.
     Brainstorm, I have little doubt, would fail that test!
     Again on the other hand, the SFX probably DO hold up: there were some matte shots in that movie that were so clean, you couldnt tell they were matte shots.  Really impressive technical work.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 3:22pm

Metaluna   Offline

FWIW, The first time I saw it I must have been about 13 years old. I don't like Bonne Bell lip gloss anymore either.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2