WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

THE SKIN I LIVE IN - Almodovar (Read 6273 times)
Nov 8th, 2011 at 10:11am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Folks don't usually expect to see a SF or Horror film from one of the leading names in International cinema, but Spain's Pedro Almodovar has delivered an intriguing take on what could be described as a melding between EYES WITHOUT A FACE and the Frankenstein legend, with some echoes of Frankenheimer's SECONDS. Of course, with Almodovar's trademark sexual intrigue. It's sexy sharp looking film with good performances by Antonio Banderas and the gorgeous Elena Anaya.
Lately, Almodovar has branched out into more genre like films such as BAD EDUCATION and BROKEN EMBRACES (and even the wonderful VOLVER had touches). Overall, I don't think these genre exercises play to Almodovar's strengths, but SKIN is more successful than BAD or BROKEN. My biggest quibble is that the film sort of re-loads half-way through with a long flashback, which while conveying important plot info, breaks the mood and buildup of the first half. And, the ending seems a bit rushed. Still, it's something Marathoners should seek out. 

edit - Yes, Franju's EYES WITHOUT A FACE. It played at one of the Orson Welles' Horror Marathons back in the 80s
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2011 at 2:14pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2011 at 1:36pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Nov 8th, 2011 at 10:11am:
what could be described as a melding between EYES WITH A FACE

Dont you mean Eyes without a Face?  The Franju film?

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 11:03am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Yes, Franju's EYES WITHOUT A FACE. It played at one of the Orson Welles' Horror Marathons back in the 80s

Thought so.
     I ran this years ago, on 16mm, at the Coolidge.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2011 at 12:38am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Yes, Franju's EYES WITHOUT A FACE.

Just watched this tonight; havent seen it in decades.  It's really creepy & disturbing: the deliberate understatement works for it.  I think there was a major re-release in 2003, so there might be decent prints available.
     Dont know if it would be a good marathon movie; fer sher the audience would get grossed out at one gory point.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 4th, 2011 at 11:58am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Yes, EYES WITHOUT A FACE was re-released a few years back. I actually first saw it at the Orson Welles at a Horror Marathon (and, it's more a horror film than SF).

Now, did anybody see THE SKIN I LIVE IN yet? It's still at the Kendall and former Marathon site West Newton.

If you don't see it, you might be next on her stalking list....

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 11:23am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Saw it about a month ago, liking it a lot (review here!).  It's got a couple of things that make me biased toward it that I won't spoil, to the point where I will forgive the way the script occasionally seems like Almodovar had two mad scientist movies he wanted to make that wound up being merged.

Not that I'm surprised he would have two mad scientist stories in him, though - I think he's always had a fondness for this sort of sci-fi/horror material.  He and his brother Augustin produced Alex de la Iglesia's first movie, Mutant Action, and the silent-sci-fi-inspired dream sequence in Talk to Her is kind of terrific.  It just seems to have taken him a while to find a story that he felt matched his skill set.

IP Logged