WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
COMMENTS & CORRECTIONS to Marathon History/Films (Read 82128 times)
Reply #60 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 4:36pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 13th, 2015 at 3:58pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 13th, 2015 at 2:12pm:
Frank is correct. BEGINNING OR THE END was at SF/10. Bruce liked to introduce the documentary format to the Marathon. He was behind WORLD OF TOMORROW and considered THE ATOMIC CAFE as well (Atomic has played in Ohio). BEGINNING is a docu-drama.  For the record, I really like WORLD OF TOMORROW and ATOMIC CAFE as movies (BEGINNING is ok, if too dry). BUT, as Marathon films? Not so much.

sas wrote on Mar 13th, 2015 at 1:14pm:

I will always remain convinced they thought they were getting the giant grasshopper film when they booked it.

NOPE. NOT. WHAT. HAPPENED.
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2015 at 5:39pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #61 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 6:49pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 13th, 2015 at 4:36pm:
da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 13th, 2015 at 3:58pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 13th, 2015 at 2:12pm:
Frank is correct. BEGINNING OR THE END was at SF/10. Bruce liked to introduce the documentary format to the Marathon. He was behind WORLD OF TOMORROW and considered THE ATOMIC CAFE as well (Atomic has played in Ohio). BEGINNING is a docu-drama.  For the record, I really like WORLD OF TOMORROW and ATOMIC CAFE as movies (BEGINNING is ok, if too dry). BUT, as Marathon films? Not so much.

sas wrote on Mar 13th, 2015 at 1:14pm:

I will always remain convinced they thought they were getting the giant grasshopper film when they booked it.

NOPE. NOT. WHAT. HAPPENED.

Yeah I know, but you have to admit it's a real odd man out title from the marathon's history with no connection to sci-fi, fantasy or horror. Even the documentaries have some connection.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #62 - Mar 14th, 2015 at 12:59am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Definitely not what happened.  I supplied posters for that marathon and I showed up with the grasshopper movie poster Beginning of the End thinking that they had made a mistake.  When I showed them the one sheet, I was told that we were in fact showing Beginning Or The End although they felt that the giant grasshopper movie looked better.  They did indeed know the movie they were getting was the A-bomb movie and not the Bert I Gordon movie.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #63 - Feb 3rd, 2018 at 7:56pm

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

SF42 lists The Rockeer. Should be The Rocketeer.

IP Logged

Reply #64 - Feb 3rd, 2018 at 11:24pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Dinsdale wrote on Feb 3rd, 2018 at 7:56pm:
SF42 lists The Rockeer. Should be The Rocketeer.

Eagle eye! Finding that one after 299,323 lines of text!!!

Fixed. thank you

IP Logged

Reply #65 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 11:44am

i am kirok   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Frank wrote on Mar 14th, 2015 at 12:59am:
Definitely not what happened.  I supplied posters for that marathon and I showed up with the grasshopper movie poster Beginning of the End thinking that they had made a mistake.  When I showed them the one sheet, I was told that we were in fact showing Beginning Or The End although they felt that the giant grasshopper movie looked better.  They did indeed know the movie they were getting was the A-bomb movie and not the Bert I Gordon movie.

there was also a "first men on the moon" "first men in the moon" debacle in marathon history.

IP Logged

Reply #66 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 6:33pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

i am kirok wrote on Feb 4th, 2018 at 11:44am:
[quote author=4B7F6C636652587F6F6C63620D0 link=1319772319/62#62 date=1426312791
there was also a "first men on the moon" "first men in the moon" debacle in marathon history.

Referring to WHAT exactly??

IP Logged

Reply #67 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 6:56pm

i am kirok   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

the schedule said "first men on the moon" and it was "first men in the moon"

IP Logged

Reply #68 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 1:02am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

i am kirok wrote on Feb 4th, 2018 at 6:56pm:
the schedule said "first men on the moon" and it was "first men in the moon"

Which "schedule"?

IP Logged

Reply #69 - Dec 29th, 2019 at 3:58pm

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

No mention found for the In Memorium videos that have been played at the 'Thon for the past several years.

IP Logged

Reply #70 - Dec 29th, 2019 at 4:15pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Dinsdale wrote on Dec 29th, 2019 at 3:58pm:
No mention found for the In Memorium videos that have been played at the 'Thon for the past several years.

They are listed under Shorts with

IP Logged

Reply #71 - Dec 29th, 2019 at 4:34pm

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

Great! Thanks

They are listed under Shorts with [/quote]

IP Logged

Reply #72 - Mar 24th, 2022 at 4:44am

Herry WIllan   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

R_F_Fineman wrote on Oct 28th, 2011 at 10:00am:
It's great to see that the list is back up.

I'd like to fill in a couple of themes to the years.

According to my T-shirt:

SF 21 (1996) was "Twisted Tales of Time". Amazingly, at least eight of them had a time travel element! (It's hard to say what "Niagrivation" was about except that it did transport us an hour and a half into the future.) A great theme year!

According to my old programs:

SF 22 (1997) was actually "Alien Invasion". There was a mutant year (02') but SF22 featured six attacks, three from those pesky martians (four if you count Marvin) and a couple of innocent alien bystanders mistaken for invaders.

SF 24 (1999) gave us Mad Doctors. The program featured a picture of Doctor Cyclops and the tag "Boston's Sleep Deprived Laboratory of Cinematic Excess". Among the psychotic PhD's: Dr X, Dr Xavier, Dr Evil, Dr Krank, Dr Morbius, Drs. Victor and Froedrick Frankensteen, plus William Schallert and Victoria Vetri all in need of professional help.

SF 27 (2002) was "Mutants R' Us"  Among the theme films were "X-Men", "Omega Man", "These Are The Damned" and "Evolution",

SF 34  (2009) was "Aliens Attack" and indeed it was crawling with invading, raiding, killing, tresspassing, and body stealing aliens. Smiley

I'm always with you Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5