WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
COMMENTS & CORRECTIONS to Marathon History/Films (Read 82539 times)
Reply #45 - Aug 26th, 2012 at 3:14pm

Metaluna   Offline

It was still mean. Tongue

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #46 - Jan 15th, 2013 at 7:59pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Not sure we had the info before but the SF3 writeup I posted lists the name of the collector who exhibited his movie memorabilia atSF3. It was Courtlandt Hull, no less than the nephew of The Werewolf of London himself, Henry Hull. I even found one of the 2 shorts he showed at SF3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czwYTzUq95U on Harry Knowles YouTube page of all places.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #47 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 10:18am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Although not consecutive years, this will mark our 11th appearance in Somerville tying the Welles.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #48 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 12:55pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Maybe we should have a cake to celebrate. Like you said, not consecutive, but still a significant landmark.

IP Logged

Reply #49 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 5:47pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Frank wrote on Jan 23rd, 2013 at 10:18am:
Although not consecutive years, this will mark our 11th appearance in Somerville tying the Welles.

And, of those eleven, as of next month I will have run eight of them pretty much by myself.
     Hate to think what the remaining three were like..... Roll Eyes

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #50 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 6:07pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 23rd, 2013 at 5:47pm:
Frank wrote on Jan 23rd, 2013 at 10:18am:

And, of those eleven, as of next month I will have run eight of them pretty much by myself.

Oh, we survived quite well.   Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #51 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 9:22pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 23rd, 2013 at 6:07pm:
David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 23rd, 2013 at 5:47pm:
[quote author=5F6B787772464C6B7B787776190 link=1319772319/47#47 date=1358954317]Although not consecutive years, this will mark our 11th appearance in Somerville tying the Welles.

"Oh, we survived quite well.   Cheesy  "

That's right L.A., take a dig at the guy who is responsible for keeping films running right during the marathon.
Wink

IP Logged

Reply #52 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 10:29pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 23rd, 2013 at 9:22pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 23rd, 2013 at 6:07pm:
"Oh, we survived quite well.   Cheesy  "

That's right L.A., take a dig at the guy who is responsible for keeping films running right during the marathon. Wink

Yeah!  What he said, Tony!  No focus for you!!

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #53 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 10:27pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

In the list of all films and marathons SF22 is listed as Mutant themed, it was actually Alien Invasion for a theme.
Mutant R Us was SF27

IP Logged

Reply #54 - May 16th, 2013 at 4:56pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I put up an update including all the films and shorts that played the Marathon and the Festival Features this year. I still have to update the Historical notes section. Thanks for all the input. One step at a time.........

Updated Filmography/History:

IP Logged

Reply #55 - Aug 5th, 2014 at 5:42pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Planning to do this year's update on the Marathon Filmography. If anybody has any notes, corrections or updates please post them!

IP Logged

Reply #56 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 1:14pm

sas   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

I'm sure I remember "The Beginning of the End" (the giant grasshopper/locust movie with Peter Graves, not the similarly titled A-bomb docudrama) playing at the marathon, and I suspect it was SF4 which also had Paul Frees' voice/acting in three other movies plus Hardware Wars, making what I remember (falsely or not) as five appearances.  Is there anyone else who remembers this, or do I have to go up to the attic and go through my high school stuff?

IP Logged

Reply #57 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 1:44pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

No to Beginning of the End at SF4 or at any other time.  It would be nice.  I have the poster and would proudly display it in the lobby.  It has not played. Paul Frees is in a bunch of movies as a voice or character.   He appears in person in George Pal's War of the Worlds as a reporter on the scene.  He s one of the scientists inThe Thing From Another World.  His voice appears as the voice of the Talking Rings in George Pal's The Time Machine, he is the voice of the alien in Earth VS The Flying Saucers, the oice of Colossus in The Forbin Project.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #58 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 2:12pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Frank is correct.

BEGINNING OR THE END was at SF/10. Bruce liked to introduce the documentary format to the Marathon. He was behind WORLD OF TOMORROW and considered THE ATOMIC CAFE as well (Atomic has played in Ohio). BEGINNING is a docu-drama.

For the record, I really like WORLD OF TOMORROW and ATOMIC CAFE as movies (BEGINNING is ok, if too dry). BUT, as Marathon films? Not so much.

sas wrote on Mar 13th, 2015 at 1:14pm:
I'm sure I remember "The Beginning of the End" (the giant grasshopper/locust movie with Peter Graves, not the similarly titled A-bomb docudrama) playing at the marathon, and I suspect it was SF4 which also had Paul Frees' voice/acting in three other movies plus Hardware Wars, making what I remember (falsely or not) as five appearances.  Is there anyone else who remembers this, or do I have to go up to the attic and go through my high school stuff?

IP Logged

Reply #59 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 3:58pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 13th, 2015 at 2:12pm:
Frank is correct.

BEGINNING OR THE END was at SF/10. Bruce liked to introduce the documentary format to the Marathon. He was behind WORLD OF TOMORROW and considered THE ATOMIC CAFE as well (Atomic has played in Ohio). BEGINNING is a docu-drama.

For the record, I really like WORLD OF TOMORROW and ATOMIC CAFE as movies (BEGINNING is ok, if too dry). BUT, as Marathon films? Not so much.

sas wrote on Mar 13th, 2015 at 1:14pm:

I will always remain convinced they thought they were getting the giant grasshopper film when they booked it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5