WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
COMMENTS & CORRECTIONS to Marathon History/Films (Read 82126 times)
Reply #30 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 7:23pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i think feynman may be confusing clip from "it came from hollywood" with "MANT" which was a clip from "matinee". matinee starred john goodman as a william castle like b movie producer.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #31 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 9:41am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Metaluna wrote on Mar 25th, 2012 at 7:02pm:
Was that the movie that had a clip with a guy chasing a milkman or something saying "the hat....I want the hat..." That randomly pops into my mind every once in a while. Does anyone know what movie that was from? Either that had the clip or the original movie it was taken from.

It's 'Alone In The Dark' (1982) good cast too, Martin Landau, Donald Pleasence and Jack Palance  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083542/
Don't let the guy with the axe image foll ya, nothing to do with this film.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #32 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 9:45am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

kirok wrote on Mar 25th, 2012 at 7:23pm:
i think feynman may be confusing clip from "it came from hollywood" with "MANT" which was a clip from "matinee". matinee starred john goodman as a william castle like b movie producer.

feynman???
No, it was shown, small possibility it may have been a Schlock Around the Clock, but I don't think so.
I think Garen mentioned it was from his collection so might need to ask him.

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 10:08am

Metaluna   Offline

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 26th, 2012 at 9:41am:
Metaluna wrote on Mar 25th, 2012 at 7:02pm:
Was that the movie that had a clip with a guy chasing a milkman or something saying "the hat....I want the hat..." That randomly pops into my mind every once in a while. Does anyone know what movie that was from? Either that had the clip or the original movie it was taken from.

It's 'Alone In The Dark' (1982) good cast too, Martin Landau, Donald Pleasence and Jack Palance  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083542/
Don't let the guy with the axe image foll ya, nothing to do with this film.

Oh, thanks! I start saying it every time I see someone wearing an unusual hat. Hopefully quietly enough so they don't hear me.

I think I might have seen the clip in Terror in the Aisles. I'll have to seek out the full movie now.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #34 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 11:37am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I have to disagree. I have only seen IT CAME FROM HOLLYWOOD once, and it was at a press screening. It's possible it played at one of the Dedham offshoot Marathons or some time at the Coolidge - but, definitely not as part of the Main Marathon. Even the Coolidge Night Flight half-thon's only had 2 variants from the main schedule: STARGATE and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND - SPECIAL EDITION (which was a private print - could this be what you are thinking of?). 

Sad

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 26th, 2012 at 9:45am:
kirok wrote on Mar 25th, 2012 at 7:23pm:

feynman???
No, it was shown, small possibility it may have been a Schlock Around the Clock, but I don't think so.
I think Garen mentioned it was from his collection so might need to ask him.

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 8:21pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

[quote author=13711E711C3031313A3C2B3630315F0 link=1319772319/34#34 date=1332779820]I have to disagree. I have only seen IT CAME FROM HOLLYWOOD once, and it was at a press screening. It's possible it played at one of the Dedham offshoot Marathons or some time at the Coolidge - but, definitely not as part of the Main Marathon. Even the Coolidge Night Flight half-thon's only had 2 variants from the main schedule: STARGATE and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND - SPECIAL EDITION (which was a private print - could this be what you are thinking of?). 

Sad

Nope, and it was not a regular part of the schedule either. It was only a reel or two and was shown as a bonus, like when Garen ran some 3 Stooges shorts & such.

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 10:49am

Jon   Offline
MA

Was just reviewing the list of SFM films. 
Question:  "World of Tomorrow" - was that not about the World's Fair of 1938+?  Although it's listed as showing at SF11, was that not one of the many, many, many, many, many, many, many films shown at the SF10 36-hour fiasco?

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 11:21am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Yes, Jon it was the infamous World's Fair documentary. A film I liked when I saw on PBS before it played the Marathon. I took a dinner break thru much of it at the marathon, and was disappointed at the hostility it engendered by the audience. I couldn't believe all the shouts of "End! End! End!!" and the groans every time a new scene started. Too bad. Not prime Marathon material perhaps, but a decent heartfelt film.

Double-checked my computer files AND my print copies of the Marathon programs: SF/11 it was.

Jon wrote on Jul 30th, 2012 at 10:49am:
Was just reviewing the list of SFM films. 
Question:  "World of Tomorrow" - was that not about the World's Fair of 1938+?  Although it's listed as showing at SF11, was that not one of the many, many, many, many, many, many, many films shown at the SF10 36-hour fiasco?

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 12:38pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

"Why do you think they put it in Queens." -Tommy Lee Jones to Will Smith in "Men in Black".

Or wait, that was a different World's Fair. Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #39 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 6:27pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

There was a fellow marathoner who actually went to that Worlds Fair as a young kid. Haven't seen him at the 'thon in years.

IP Logged

Reply #40 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 7:21pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Lile wrote on Aug 18th, 2012 at 6:27pm:
There was a fellow marathoner who actually went to that Worlds Fair as a young kid. Haven't seen him at the 'thon in years.

I hope he wasn't so discouraged by the booing for WORLD OF TOMORROW that he stopped going.

IP Logged

Reply #41 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 12:33am

Metaluna   Offline

L.A. Connection wrote on Aug 18th, 2012 at 7:21pm:

I hope he wasn't so discouraged by the booing for WORLD OF TOMORROW that he stopped going.

Maybe having seen a glimpse of the future he saw Folklore coming and stayed away. Far, far away.

IP Logged

Reply #42 - Aug 24th, 2012 at 4:38pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Metaluna wrote on Aug 19th, 2012 at 12:33am:
L.A. Connection wrote on Aug 18th, 2012 at 7:21pm:

Maybe having seen a glimpse of the future he saw Folklore coming and stayed away. Far, far away.

Now, that's just mean.  Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2012 at 6:22pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #43 - Aug 26th, 2012 at 1:32pm

Metaluna   Offline

L.A. Connection wrote on Aug 24th, 2012 at 4:38pm:

...says the guy who felt the need to end his Tony Scott memorial with, "but I never really liked his work."

IP Logged

Reply #44 - Aug 26th, 2012 at 1:52pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Metaluna wrote on Aug 26th, 2012 at 1:32pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Aug 24th, 2012 at 4:38pm:

...says the guy who felt the need to end his Tony Scott memorial with, "but I never really liked his work."

It wasn't a 'memorial', just an obit. I could have been a lot more harsh in my criticism, just laying my basic opinion on the table.

That said, I have been shocked at the level of praise Scott's work has gotten post-humously. I bet his family is saying, "Where was the love when he was around to appreciate it?" Look at his Rotten Tomatoes page. Most of the movies he directed were judged to be Rotten even on the rather lenient Tomato scale: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/tony_scott/

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5