WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
COMMENTS & CORRECTIONS to Marathon History/Films (Read 82208 times)
Reply #15 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 10:48pm

Metaluna   Offline

George Lucas In Love?

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 7:45am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Andre and Wally B

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 8:43am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Bingo! Touted as the first fully computer animated short, it was also Pixar's debut, produced while it was under Lucasfilm's wing.

Frank wrote on Mar 9th, 2012 at 7:45am:
Andre and Wally B

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 8:37pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I think Labyrinth was a Lucasfilm production.

BTW one of the films shown at the marathon (SF2 to be exact) is now considered a lost film per this article http://io9.com/5877874/lost-films

From what I remember of it, its better off staying lost.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 9:54pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I was thinking of films where we were able to curry favor with Lucasfilm and got the "secret" screenings of STAR WARS and ANDRE AND WALLY B back in the early 80s.

As to HU-MAN, it indeed ends up on many lists of "lost films" and "most wanted on DVD". Those lucky Marathoners at SF/2 are amongst the very few who ever saw the film in the States.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139371/

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 9th, 2012 at 8:37pm:

BTW one of the films shown at the marathon (SF2 to be exact) is now considered a lost film per this article http://io9.com/5877874/lost-films

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Mar 10th, 2012 at 9:55am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 9th, 2012 at 9:54pm:
I was thinking of films where we were able to curry favor with Lucasfilm and got the "secret" screenings of STAR WARS and ANDRE AND WALLY B back in the early 80s.

As to HU-MAN, it indeed ends up on many lists of "lost films" and "most wanted on DVD". Those lucky Marathoners at SF/2 are amongst the very few who ever saw the film in the States.

[img]

That might be true except that based on bunnyman's comments the rest of us may be the lucky ones.  Never saw the film myself do I would give it a cautious look if it ever does become available on DVD.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Mar 10th, 2012 at 10:19am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:

Great article! Those obscure art and horror films are in good company.

Among the lost:

All but two of the complete works of Theda Bara,
including her most acclaimed and lucrative roles as "Salome`" and "Cleopatra".

Hmmmm....silent's were fragile to begin with, but add the code and nothing but a few famous stills remain.

Also among the lost is

Lon Chaney sr.'s "London After Midnight"

Only the famous stills remain, but you see them everywhere, even monster masks.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #22 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 11:52am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

[img]

Yes, from my hazy memories it was overly arty to the point of being annoying. worst part was the dialogue being repeated in a screaming voice as a background to action happening.
I also think we were given comment cards at the end of its showing which means the marathon showing was considered a sneak preview. Only time that's ever happened.
I know it never opened at any of Bostons many art houses and i don't recall ever seeing anything more on it.

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 12:13pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 12th, 2012 at 11:52am:

[img]I think Labyrinth was a Lucasfilm production.

Yes, from my hazy memories it was overly arty to the point of being annoying. worst part was the dialogue being repeated in a screaming voice as a background to action happening.
I also think we were given comment cards at the end of its showing which means the marathon showing was considered a sneak preview. Only time that's ever happened.
I know it never opened at any of Bostons many art houses and i don't recall ever seeing anything more on it.
[/quote]

I have always preferred Ro-Man to Hu-Man......

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 4:50pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Frank wrote on Mar 12th, 2012 at 12:13pm:
da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 12th, 2012 at 11:52am:

[img]I think Labyrinth was a Lucasfilm production.

I have always preferred Ro-Man to Hu-Man...... [/quote]

How the heck did you know what I wrote on my comment card?

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Mar 24th, 2012 at 8:41pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Another forgotten title from a past marathon, don't remember which but I think it was at the Coolidge.

It Came From Hollywood, while we never showed the entire film we were treated to a reel or two.

Also SF12, the first at The Somerville featured an alternate entertainment section in the balcony lobby. This was because of 3-4 R rated films being shown. Offered on a TV were videotapes of some family friendly sci-fi AND the documentary done at SF10.

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 10:46am

kirok   Offline
God Member

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 24th, 2012 at 8:41pm:
Another forgotten title from a past marathon, don't remember which but I think it was at the Coolidge.

It Came From Hollywood, while we never showed the entire film we were treated to a reel or two.

Also SF12, the first at The Somerville featured an alternate entertainment section in the balcony lobby. This was because of 3-4 R rated films being shown. Offered on a TV were videotapes of some family friendly sci-fi AND the documentary done at SF10.

i do remember "it came from hollywood" but not at the marathon. the hosts were dan akroyd and the late john candy. they did an extended bit on ed wood.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #27 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 11:27am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Gotta go with Kirok here. I actually reviewed IT CAME FROM HOLLYWOOD for the B.U. newspaper back in the day! I have no memory of any of it playing at the Marathon, save for maybe a trailer. It left a strong impression on me, and I even lobbied for it to be shown at the Marathon even though there are lots of non-SF things in it.

The one clip in IT CAME  that really stood out was from the "It's as big as a Battleship!!" monstrosity - THE GIANT CLAW which played at the Dedham Marathon years later.

Unfortunately, those dreaded 'Rights and Clearances' issues has prevented IT CAME from ever being released on DVD, save for bootlegs of the old VHS and Laserdisc editions.

kirok wrote on Mar 25th, 2012 at 10:46am:
da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 24th, 2012 at 8:41pm:

i do remember "it came from hollywood" but not at the marathon. the hosts were dan akroyd and the late john candy. the did an extended bit on ed wood.

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 6:39pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I have to say that I cannot recall this havng played at the SF marathon either.  Bunnyman - Who hosted the segment that was shown?  Candy, Ackroyd, Radner, Cheech and Chong? 

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 7:02pm

Metaluna   Offline

Was that the movie that had a clip with a guy chasing a milkman or something saying "the hat....I want the hat..." That randomly pops into my mind every once in a while. Does anyone know what movie that was from? Either that had the clip or the original movie it was taken from.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5