WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
COMMENTS & CORRECTIONS to Marathon History/Films (Read 82127 times)
Oct 27th, 2011 at 10:25pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Place your comments and corrections to the filmography and Marathon history thread here.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 10:00am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

It's great to see that the list is back up.

I'd like to fill in a couple of themes to the years.

According to my T-shirt:

SF 21 (1996) was "Twisted Tales of Time". Amazingly, at least eight of them had a time travel element! (It's hard to say what "Niagrivation" was about except that it did transport us an hour and a half into the future.) A great theme year!

According to my old programs:

SF 22 (1997) was actually "Alien Invasion". There was a mutant year (02') but SF22 featured six attacks, three from those pesky martians (four if you count Marvin) and a couple of innocent alien bystanders mistaken for invaders.

SF 24 (1999) gave us Mad Doctors. The program featured a picture of Doctor Cyclops and the tag "Boston's Sleep Deprived Laboratory of Cinematic Excess". Among the psychotic PhD's: Dr X, Dr Xavier, Dr Evil, Dr Krank, Dr Morbius, Drs. Victor and Froedrick Frankensteen, plus William Schallert and Victoria Vetri all in need of professional help.

SF 27 (2002) was "Mutants R' Us"  Among the theme films were "X-Men", "Omega Man", "These Are The Damned" and "Evolution",

SF 34  (2009) was "Aliens Attack" and indeed it was crawling with invading, raiding, killing, tresspassing, and body stealing aliens. Smiley

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 6:18pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Thanks for the Feedback. I will check those notes.

During the meanwhile, anybody interested in putting together listings for the past couple of our companion Boston Sci-Fi Film FESTIVAL listings would be appreciated!

R_F_Fineman wrote on Oct 28th, 2011 at 10:00am:
It's great to see that the list is back up.

I'd like to fill in a couple of themes to the years.

According to my T-shirt:

SF 21 (1996) was "Twisted Tales of Time". Amazingly, at least eight of them had a time travel element! (It's hard to say what "Niagrivation" was about except that it did transport us an hour and a half into the future.) A great theme year!

According to my old programs:

SF 22 (1997) was actually "Alien Invasion". There was a mutant year (02') but SF22 featured six attacks, three from those pesky martians (four if you count Marvin) and a couple of innocent alien bystanders mistaken for invaders.

SF 24 (1999) gave us Mad Doctors. The program featured a picture of Doctor Cyclops and the tag "Boston's Sleep Deprived Laboratory of Cinematic Excess". Among the psychotic PhD's: Dr X, Dr Xavier, Dr Evil, Dr Krank, Dr Morbius, Drs. Victor and Froedrick Frankensteen, plus William Schallert and Victoria Vetri all in need of professional help.

SF 27 (2002) was "Mutants R' Us"  Among the theme films were "X-Men", "Omega Man", "These Are The Damned" and "Evolution",

SF 34  (2009) was "Aliens Attack" and indeed it was crawling with invading, raiding, killing, tresspassing, and body stealing aliens. Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2011 at 9:34am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

A quick look at my blog shows this for the festival:

2010: Sleep Dealer (5 Feb), Mutant Swingers From Mars (6 Feb), Caller ID (7 Feb), shorts on 8-11 Feb (full listing), "Famous Monster" (11 Feb), Lunopolis (12 Feb), Ink (13 Feb)

2011: Shorts on 11 & 13 Feb (Full listing), Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning (14 Feb), The Wild World of Ted V. Mikels (15 Feb), Summer Wars (16 Feb, rescheduled from the 12th after technical issues), 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea '16 (17 Feb), Zonad (18 Feb), The Revenant (19 Feb).  Three shows each for the latter two.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2011 at 9:36am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Thanks for the info. Are there still online links on the Bostonsci-fi site? Things can be...uh....interesting.... to find there...... Roll Eyes

Jay Seaver wrote on Nov 1st, 2011 at 9:34am:
A quick look at my blog shows this for the festival:

2010: Sleep Dealer (5 Feb), Mutant Swingers From Mars (6 Feb), Caller ID (7 Feb), shorts on 8-11 Feb (full listing), "Famous Monster" (11 Feb), Lunopolis (12 Feb), Ink (13 Feb)

2011: Shorts on 11 & 13 Feb (Full listing), Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning (14 Feb), The Wild World of Ted V. Mikels (15 Feb), Summer Wars (16 Feb, rescheduled from the 12th after technical issues), 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea '16 (17 Feb), Zonad (18 Feb), The Revenant (19 Feb).  Three shows each for the latter two.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 7:26pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

According to the festival listing
Quote:
NEADER-JIN: THE RETURN OF THE
NEADERTHAL
MAN
A sly comedy from Germany (in English) featuring hustlers, hucksters and the titular hirsute one.

The german and english word is NEA-N-DERTHAL. As there are no silent letters in German, it is spelled just as it's pronounced.
In fact it's so easy a Caveman can do it!. Wink...

I know you work hard on this, and anybody can make a typo, but I just couldn't resist! Smiley Looks like a great film, by the way!

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 2:03pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Sub-topic as to the Oldest Marathon has been split off into it's own thread. Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 29th, 2012 at 9:21pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Just some odd half faded memories of some of the early marathons.
SF2 featured 2 short films made up of film clips of classic horror/sf films set to Sinatra songs, one was Strangers In The Night, can't recall the other. The maker of these shorts was a film collector (pre VHS days) and was dressed as Ming the Merciless as we filed out  at the end of the marathon heading to the survivors brunch.
At the Welles the only way of finding out what films were booked at the marathon was to ask the staff. One year they got revenge by keeping all films secret. You would not know what was being shown till the marathon started. Can't remember what year it was though.
Can't remember the year, likely 1982 SF7, a film scheduled was a horrible comedy with Lily Tomlin "The Incredible Shrinking Woman" so many complaints were heard that the film was pulled well before the marathon. Hey that's why we always asked what was gonna be shown. Smiley

Thought I saw a note about it all ready but SF2 had a phone conversation with producer George Pal, I remember one fan taking up a lot of the time trying to get his opinion of Asimov's Foundation Trilogy, Pal could not make out the title and when he did had never heard of it.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 29th, 2012 at 9:35pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The "All-Surprise" Marathon was SF/11. About a third or so in, the audience rebelled and the lineup and schedule was revealed. It was the year the MLO took over the Marathon when THE DAY MARS INVADED THE EARTH started screening and halted it's showing (the movie was showin in it's entirety at SF/6).

I was working with Bruce Bartoo, JD Pollack and Mark Diamond on SF/7 when the INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN backlash happened! I'm fairly sure THE MOLE PEOPLE is the film that replaced it on the schedule.

The George Pal note IS in the current History: http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1319772249/0#0

da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 29th, 2012 at 9:21pm:
SF2 featured 2 short films made up of film clips of classic horror/sf films set to Sinatra songs, one was Strangers In The Night, can't recall the other. The maker of these shorts was a film collector (pre VHS days) and was dressed as Ming the Merciless as we filed out  at the end of the marathon heading to the survivors brunch.
At the Welles the only way of finding out what films were booked at the marathon was to ask the staff. One year they got revenge by keeping all films secret. You would not know what was being shown till the marathon started. Can't remember what year it was though.
Can't remember the year, likely 1982 SF7, a film scheduled was a horrible comedy with Lily Tomlin "The Incredible Shrinking Woman" so many complaints were heard that the film was pulled well before the marathon. Hey that's why we always asked what was gonna be shown. Smiley

Thought I saw a note about it all ready but SF2 had a phone conversation with producer George Pal, I remember one fan taking up a lot of the time trying to get his opinion of Asimov's Foundation Trilogy, Pal could not make out the title and when he did had never heard of it.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 29th, 2012 at 10:03pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 29th, 2012 at 9:35pm:
The "All-Surprise" Marathon was SF/11. About a third or so in, the audience rebelled and the lineup and schedule was revealed. It was the year the MLO took over the Marathon when THE DAY MARS INVADED THE EARTH started screening and halted it's showing (the movie was showin in it's entirety at SF/6).

Not a surprise for all.  This was the second year that I began loaning posters to the Welles for the thon.....  They had to release the titles to me in order for me to track down posters.  I was of course sworn to secrecy. 

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 5:52am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 29th, 2012 at 9:35pm:

I was working with Bruce Bartoo, JD Pollack and Mark Diamond on SF/7 when the INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN backlash happened! I'm fairly sure THE MOLE PEOPLE is the film that replaced it on the schedule.

The George Pal note IS in the current History: http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1319772249/0#0

da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 29th, 2012 at 9:21pm:

I remember the MLO takeover of the 'thon as SF 11 and I remember they had a list of demands,two of which are the return of the red m&m and a martian themed movie be shown at each subsequent 'thon.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 8:33pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

SF10 featured 2 'secret' films which would not be revealed until they unspooled at the thon itself.
The films were 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea which Disney very reluctantly let be shown with the agreement that we not let it be known they did it. At the time Disney would not let their films be shown for 1-2 day engagements. Which is why they were never available for revival cinemas (remember those?) The entire audience was sworn to secrecy about the showing.
The second film was Star Wars which Lucasfilms was happy to let us show. We were sworn to anti-secrecy about the showing (in other words, tell everyone they did it.)

When a list was given out showing marathon by marathon listings of the films that were show there was a blank space under SF10 for the still secret Disney film. 

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 9:30pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Correct on both parts! Now, for the bonus round. What OTHER Lucas film was also given to the Marathon to show around that same time?

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 8:33pm:
SF10 featured 2 'secret' films which would not be revealed until they unspooled at the thon itself.
The films were 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea which Disney very reluctantly let be shown with the agreement that we not let it be known they did it. At the time Disney would not let their films be shown for 1-2 day engagements. Which is why they were never available for revival cinemas (remember those?) The entire audience was sworn to secrecy about the showing.
The second film was Star Wars which Lucasfilms was happy to let us show. We were sworn to anti-secrecy about the showing (in other words, tell everyone they did it.)

When a list was given out showing marathon by marathon listings of the films that were show there was a blank space under SF10 for the still secret Disney film. 

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 10:11pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 9:30pm:
Correct on both parts! Now, for the bonus round. What OTHER Lucas film was also given to the Marathon to show around that same time?

thx1138?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 10:19pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I guess I should have been more specific - LUCASFILM movie (as in the company). While THX1138 has been shown twice, it was not under Lucas' control back then.

So, guess again.

kirok wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 10:11pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 9:30pm:

thx1138?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5