WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Stooge watch (Read 13685 times)
Oct 27th, 2011 at 4:36pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

early publicity shot of the cast.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 2:03pm

Dragonator   Offline
YaBB Newbies
"They're made out of meat!"

I'm hoping for the best for this movie, but no one will ever be able to replace Curly.

Favorite Stooge short: DISORDER IN THE COURT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxAk3B_zS5k

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 2:54pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

shemp replaced curley and i believe he was better. shemp kills me. dang...er...ooooz....keh....ep....aw.....ay.

here's the most violent stooge clip of all time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jocRd-aajW0

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2011 at 7:46pm

Dragonator   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Not too long ago, I had to rewatch most of the Stooges' shorts (thank goodness for YouTube!) for a project I was working on and gained a new appreciation for Shemp.  He held his own and soitenly made me laugh.  

In actuality Curly replaced Shemp, then Shemp replaced Curly.  Before the Columbia shorts, the original trio was Moe, Shemp and Larry.  They performed with Ted Healy beginning in 1925 -- Ted Healy and His Stooges.  In 1934 when they officially became The Three Stooges, Curly replaced Shemp after he left to pursue his acting career.  In 1949 after Curly sadly suffered a stroke, Shemp replaced him.    

I am one of those fans who defends Shemp, but the Curly years defined the Stooges for generations of fans.  These were the golden years and made them one of the greatest comedic acts of all time.

Legalize Shemp & long live Curly!  Nyuk!  Nyuk!  Nyuk!

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2011 at 10:47pm

Dragonator   Offline
YaBB Newbies

The official trailer for the *new* Three Stooges movie was released a few days ago.  Amazingly unfunny and unentertaining...  oh, well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4IoUo_ZJkY

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2011 at 12:06am

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

Dragonator wrote on Nov 6th, 2011 at 7:46pm:
Not too long ago, I had to rewatch most of the Stooges' shorts (thank goodness for YouTube!) for a project I was working on and gained a new appreciation for Shemp.  He held his own and soitenly made me laugh.  

In actuality Curly replaced Shemp, then Shemp replaced Curly.  Before the Columbia shorts, the original trio was Moe, Shemp and Larry.  They performed with Ted Healy beginning in 1925 -- Ted Healy and His Stooges.  In 1934 when they officially became The Three Stooges, Curly replaced Shemp after he left to pursue his acting career.  In 1949 after Curly sadly suffered a stroke, Shemp replaced him.    

I am one of those fans who defends Shemp, but the Curly years defined the Stooges for generations of fans.  These were the golden years and made them one of the greatest comedic acts of all time.

Legalize Shemp & long live Curly!  Nyuk!  Nyuk!  Nyuk!

What about Curly Joe?

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2011 at 9:31am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Dragonator wrote on Dec 12th, 2011 at 10:47pm:
The official trailer for the *new* Three Stooges movie was released a few days ago.  Amazingly unfunny and unentertaining...  oh, well...[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4IoUo_ZJkY

Well, at least the Farrellys are committed to a faithful adaptation of the original material, then.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2011 at 1:48pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

opening with a stooge origin allegory (which appears to be derivative of "the blues brothers") is nothing more than a lazy writers way of padding a movie script with enough material to fill a 90 minute feature. same for putting the stooges in the modern day. when curly was doing his shtick with a cell phone i was truly dismayed. this treatment is devoid of thought. there are several permutaions of premice, charachters and setting that should have been considered before choosing "stooges 2011"

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2011 at 4:09pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

How do you know those permutations weren't considered?

Also, isn't there just a valid argument that having the Stooges deal with modern things is the opposite of lazy?  The Farrelly Brothers could have just chosen to regurgitate previous gags; figuring out how Curly makes a fool of himself with a cell phone is a little more work.

Not that I particularly care - the Farrellys choosing this material at least short-circuits the hope/disappointment cycle they've been in since There's Something About Mary for me - but I strongly suspect that if the people up in arms applied the same standards to the original Three Stooges projects as they are to this remake/tribute film, shorn of nostalgia, they'd stumble upon the realization that it wasn't very good.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - May 28th, 2012 at 6:24pm

Dragonator   Offline
YaBB Newbies

We can safely say the Stooge watch has come and gone, just like the new movie which was officially released on 4/13/12.  I was invited to a special screening on 4/11.  Even though I knew this movie would not live up to my expectations, coupled with the fact I detested the trailer (almost as much as the Jersey Shore), I attended anyway.   As anticipated I did not enjoy the majority of it and found it to be quite mean-spirited in nature.  I do have to admit I chuckled 2 or 3 times, like when Curly ran into a door frame.   (If you saw this movie, you may missed it since it was done in the background.)  This seemed to be a genuine comedic moment, something the real Curly would do.  Otherwise most of the story was contrived and  ill-conceived, while most of the jokes/gags/punchlines were too forced.  Keep in mind, the original Stooges were sincere, graceful and always tried their best no matter what job they did.  They were simply the best at slapstick comedy, offering laughs to generations of fans.  This new movie missed the mark and will most likely be forgotten in the annals of The Three Stooges.   At least I hope I forgot about it.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - May 29th, 2012 at 5:56pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

Dragonator wrote on May 28th, 2012 at 6:24pm:
We can safely say the Stooge watch has come and gone, just like the new movie which was officially released on 4/13/12.  I was invited to a special screening on 4/11.  Even though I knew this movie would not live up to my expectations, coupled with the fact I detested the trailer (almost as much as the Jersey Shore), I attended anyway.   As anticipated I did not enjoy the majority of it and found it to be quite mean-spirited in nature.  I do have to admit I chuckled 2 or 3 times, like when Curly ran into a door frame.   (If you saw this movie, you may missed it since it was done in the background.)  This seemed to be a genuine comedic moment, something the real Curly would do.  Otherwise most of the story was contrived and  ill-conceived, while most of the jokes/gags/punchlines were too forced.  Keep in mind, the original Stooges were sincere, graceful and always tried their best no matter what job they did.  They were simply the best at slapstick comedy, offering laughs to generations of fans.  This new movie missed the mark and will most likely be forgotten in the annals of The Three Stooges.   At least I hope I forgot about it. 

This thread isn't over till i say it's over.
it's over.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #11 - May 31st, 2012 at 9:19pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Didn't bother seeing it. Saw a bit of that awful TV movie from the early 00's.

It's hard enough to put the recapture the old magic when you are doing a sequel or a remake WITH some of the original creators, let alone doing one with people trying to mimic classic characters.

Plus, it's been many many DECADES since the height of Stoogemania. You can't put that genie back in the bottle...

Dragonator wrote on May 28th, 2012 at 6:24pm:

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jul 14th, 2012 at 5:14pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

IP Logged