WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Other events of interest to Marathoids (Read 35249 times)
Reply #30 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 2:24pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Oct 24th, 2012 at 12:21pm:
First, of all. Current digital projection even at it's very best is inferior to a good 35mm print. Period. Black and White films are particularly affected because it is imperative to have rich deep blacks and sharp shadow fog detail - all things that digital has issues with. Blacks look grey and shadows look like a haze or fog.

Second, Universal has spent a considerable amount of money and effort to restore and maintain their classics in 35mm over the past several years. It's galling that they would just toss all that work into a closet in order to save a few bucks on shipping.

Third, I would love to see these films on the big screen. But, sometimes, it is more important to stand on principle.

WAH-WAH-WAH!!!!!!!!!   If we don't agree with you we are lacking in principles I guess.  I fully expect you to leave the marathon whenever a digital film plays or if god forbid we have projection.  Why stay?   Stand by your priniciples or are they on again off again.  In point of fact, WE (my friends and I) DO NOT MIND digital.  YOU DO.  Move on.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #31 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 9:47am

Jon   Offline
MA

Frank wrote on Oct 24th, 2012 at 11:20am:
I was unaware that there were so many other thons.  Are these local? I love a good marathon (all genres) so please do  tell. 

Ah, well, I see the "Horror" marathons being discussed here, and there are other seasonal ones, I think you'll agree (and I suspect you may have a better handle on them than my humble self.)  There's the "Zombie" marathon, of course.  Animation so-called marathons (which I really should get back into, at some point - I miss them), etc., mis-named or not.

Also (since I do not control the TV remote in my own living room, and so life seems to have become all about TV re-runs at home), there seem to be entire cable channels devoted to re-runs of various TV series, which are glibbly dubbed "marathons" (it just mean the re-runs are aired back-to-back over long-ish periods of time - but that's my point, really.) 

The mere designation, "Marathon," has become a re-branding meant to pull in extra audience on the premise that a marathon is fun (for us dirty, all-nighters!), where re-runs are, well, just repeated old shows.  (I suspect the appeal is to people who are either in or who have never emotionally or developmentally left college - yes, I can identify).

This growing trend (if I may call it that, please) serves to cheapen the "brand" - ultimately becoming self-defeating as repetition numbs audiences to the label and they just move on to something they can see as less purely and blatantly exploitive.

Anyway, I, too, like a good marathon, but am limited to one per year by familial obligations.  And my definition is admittedly skewed by a stay-at-home lifestyle and overexposure to cable TV.  So, I think that's enough (parenthetical) exposition for now.  I am not going to go the route of using footnotes,presenting a bibliography or citing curriculum vitae.  I can be sophomoric without having to write a term paper.  Wink

Oh, and thanks for asking.... Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 11:00am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

If you are extending it to TV, then there are a lot of marathons. At one time, there really was only the 'Twilight Zone' 'thons, but, now, any program with at least 12 episodes in the can is entitled to a so-called "marathon" of it's own.  Roll Eyes

Across the country there are a number of true film Marathons, but, most are in the 8 to 12 hour range. Of course, but our definition, 8 hours is merely intermission time...........

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Oct 28th, 2012 at 11:48am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Frank wrote on Oct 24th, 2012 at 8:42am:
Lile wrote on Oct 24th, 2012 at 1:54am:
Frank wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:18pm:
I will be attending both events.  I have seen Frankenstein a buch o' times on the big screen over the past few years but I cannot pass up the chance.  Harvard showed it, Cooldige showed, Thon showed it.....  Bride is my favorite of the Frankys. 

Would like to know what the surprise movies are, won't make it as I'ld have to fly in from Seattle.

I will post next week. 

THere were only six features
The Exorcist
The Thing (Carpenter)
Day of the Dead
Phantasm
Candyman
The Parasite Murders

A very cool time.  They sold out for the first time in their 12 years.  Prints varied in quality but none awful.  Great slate of horror films if nothing really old pre-70's.  A super mixture.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #34 - Oct 28th, 2012 at 5:11pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

How was the print of THEY CAME FROM WITHIN (PARASITE MURDERS, SHIVERS)?

How many people stayed after the first two films? Were there at the end?

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Oct 28th, 2012 at 11:42pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

The Brattle's November/December schedule is kind of awesome, with a massive Universal 100th Anniversary series taking up all next month and good stuff afterward:

2 November:  Repo Man (late show, Universal's 100th)
3 November:  Streets of Fire (late show, Universal's 100th)
4 November:  Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, The Mummy & The Invisible Man (Universal's 100th Monster Marathon - new 35mm prints for the Frankensteins)
5 November:  English & Spanish Dracula double feature (Universal's 100th, new 35mm prints).
9 November:  The Last Starfighter (Late show, Universal's 100th)
10 November:  Tremors (Late show, Universal's 100th)
15 November:  Creature from the Black Lagoon (anaglyph 3D) & The Incredible Shrinking Man (Universal's 100th)
16-17 November:  The Birds & Jaws double feature (Universal's 100th, new 35mm prints)
23 November:  The Thing (Late show, Universal's 100th)
25 November:  Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (part of the Universal's 100th Comedy Marathon)
27 November:  Apollo 13 (Universal's 100th)
2 December:  Back to the Future & Scott Pilgrim vs the World (Universal's 100th)
11 December:  2012 (Cinemapocalypse 2012)
12 December:  12 Monkeys (Cinemapocalypse 2012)
13 December:  Fan choice (Cinemapocalypse 2012)
14 December:  Gremlins (Late show, Alt-X-Mas)
15 December:  Brazil (Late show, Alt-X-Mas)
16 December:  City of Lost Children (Late show, Alt-X-Mas)
21 December:  Shaun of the Dead (Late show, Focus Features 10th)
23 December:  Coraline (Focus Features 10th)
29 December:  Xanadu (Gene Kelly Centennial Tribute)

... and a lot more that's not SF/horror-ish, like The Thin Man on New Year's Eve

Plus, the pancake fans might be interested in the "Haunted House of Pancakes" on 30 October, where $5 gets you a program of pancake-related horror and a plate of flapjacks.

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 3:50pm

35mmfilm   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Frank wrote on Oct 24th, 2012 at 2:24pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Oct 24th, 2012 at 12:21pm:
First, of all. Current digital projection even at it's very best is inferior to a good 35mm print. Period. Black and White films are particularly affected because it is imperative to have rich deep blacks and sharp shadow fog detail - all things that digital has issues with. Blacks look grey and shadows look like a haze or fog.

Second, Universal has spent a considerable amount of money and effort to restore and maintain their classics in 35mm over the past several years. It's galling that they would just toss all that work into a closet in order to save a few bucks on shipping.

Third, I would love to see these films on the big screen. But, sometimes, it is more important to stand on principle.

WAH-WAH-WAH!!!!!!!!!   If we don't agree with you we are lacking in principles I guess.  I fully expect you to leave the marathon whenever a digital film plays or if god forbid we have projection.  Why stay?   Stand by your priniciples or are they on again off again.  In point of fact, WE (my friends and I) DO NOT MIND digital.  YOU DO.  Move on.

No you move on! Digital is crap - Spielberg, Nolan and Tarrantino, as well as dozens of others agree - and you and your friends are quite clearly stupid. Go ahead and pay for an inferior image and let the studios continue to laugh at you behind your back.  Grin I will not be following you, thank God!!

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 10:22pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Just a reminder to folks.  Thursday night at the Brattle a great 50's double feature.  As part of the 100 years of Universal celebration, the Brattle will be screening The Creature From the Black Lagoon in 3D (anaglyph) and The Incredible Shrinking Man.  As pointed out elsewhere, Creature has never played the thon.  Incredible Shrinking Man has not played since SF4.  I hope to be there.

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Nov 18th, 2012 at 7:34pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

How were the prints, Frank?

IP Logged

Reply #39 - Nov 18th, 2012 at 10:11pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

All of the prints in the series have been pretty good - between Universal, UCLA, and American Express (the sponsors of the series), even the ones like Shrinking Man which weren't new/restored seem to be the best available.  Of course, I don't know how it is by Dave-type standards, but I've had little reason for complaint.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3