WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 
Re: Today's News Stories (Read 261980 times)
Reply #270 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 6:45pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Jun 13th, 2014 at 12:39am:
da_Bunnyman wrote on Jun 12th, 2014 at 4:23pm:
An interesting list, the guy's not afraid to put on some action films like Matrix & The Terminator.
I've always preferred Deep Impact to Armageddon because it seemed more like a good drama about the event rather than having the event an excuse for an action hero to go save us.

Watchmen's reputation continues to grow now that we've had Avengers and know what Watchmen was a more serious version of.

Biggest surprise is daring to put Contact and The Island on his list.

CONTACT isn't that bad, plus, there's the understandable Carl Sagan connection.

Sure DEEP IMPACT is better than ARMAGGEDON but, that's saying very little. Michael Bay's opus terribulus cemented all the excesses of modern day blockbusters.

THE ISLAND? See Bay, Michael.

Yep, I liked Contact myself, I was more talking about its reputation among fans who were PO'd that they did not get to see an alien (so they could complain about how fake it looked.)

I know all too well about Michael Bay, but because of his comments I may have to watch the Island and ignore everything exploding and concentrate on the plot.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #271 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 12:50pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Maybe this belongs in the "digital projection" category, as it sheds light on the state of the modern film industry. It turns out that "Avatar" and "Titanic" aren't really the all-time gross leaders if ticket price inflation is taken into account. Given that ticket prices have gone up ten fold since the 1960's, the adjustment has to be made to reflect ticket SALES- the real indication of a film's big screen success.

According to Box-office Mojo (a respected source):

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

After "Avatar" (14) the all-time Science Fiction ticket sellers that don't have "Star Wars" in the title are:

"Independence Day" (37),
"Back to the Future" (61),
"Close Encounters of the Third Kind" (71),
"Men in Black" (79),
"Transformers:Revenge of the Fallen*" (81),
"The Hunger Games" (94),
"Jurassic Park: The Lost World" (98),
"Terminator II: Judgement Day" (104),
"The Matrix Reloaded" (113),
"Transformers*" (114),
"Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon" (129),
"2001: A Space Oddyssey" (135),
"Armageddon" (139),
"Inception" (192),
"I am Legend" (193),
"War of the Worlds" (195), which, I regret to inform you, is the 2005 remake not the original.

All of those articles on how the 1950's were the "Golden Age of Science Fiction Film" need to be reconsidered. If it's all about the $$$ then we're living in the genre's golden age right now. Shocked

Still, I get a warm feeling knowing that the most successful of the Universal Monsters and the highest grossing version of "Frankenstein" comes in at #118!

He truly had an enormous schwantzstucker at the box office! Cheesy

The "Transformers" franchise probably isn't any more sci-fi than the "Superman" or "Iron Man" type franchises, (nor "The Incredibles"- a superhero parody), which are also on the list. I included those big, noisy, CGI monstrosities because...hey, wait a minute... why DID I include them?

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #272 - Jul 16th, 2014 at 1:17pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Forty-five years ago today the Apollo 11 mission's Saturn V rocket blasted free of Mother Earth's atmosphere propelling Armstrong, Aldrin, and Collins to their eventual historic rendezvous with the Moon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUtQqH3rt3c

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #273 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 9:40am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Did NASA Capture An Alien And Its Shadow On The Moon?
A shadowy figure was spotted on the moon's surface last month, and since then it has grabbed the attention -- and the extremely wild imagination -- of the Internet....

The short answer is "No". Still, those who are curious can check it out on Google Moon at 27°34’26.35″N 19°36’4.75″W

If it is a vertical object, it would be the size and shape of the Colossus of Rhodes: one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.

The Huff-Po story.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/13/alien-shadow-moon-nasa-google-moon_n_56...

Too left-wing? How about The Daily Mail UK story:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2723717/The-man-ON-moon-Shadow-re...

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #274 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 11:23pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Hw many Science Fiction films start out just like this?

Quote:
Four Fireballs Spotted In Sky Along U.S. East Coast, Midwest
The Huffington Post  | By Jacqueline Howard
Not one, not two, and not even three -- but four fantastic fireball events were reported Tuesday along the East Coast and in the Midwest, the American Meteor Society said. The bright fireballs all came within a 90-minute timespan, according to the society. Multiple fireball events in a single evening are considered rare. ...More:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/25/fireballs-sky-east-us_n_5882472.html?nc...

What's next? Blobs, Triffids, aliens, giant spiders, pod people... Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #275 - Sep 29th, 2014 at 4:22pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

GATTACA 4-real?

They think so:

Quote:
The World’s First Genetically Modified Babies Will Graduate High School This Year
Remember the sci-fi thriller GATTACA? For those who never saw the film and/or eschewed all pop culture in the late 90’s for some reason, it was a popular movie that came out in 1997 about genetically modified human beings. Now some literally genetically modified human babies born that same year are entering their senior year of high school.

The first successful transfer of genetic material for this purpose was published in a U.S. medical journal in 1997 and then later cited in a Human Reproduction publication in 2001. Scientists injected 30 embryos in all with a third person’s genetic material. The children who have been produced by this method actually have extra snippets of mitochondrial DNA, or mtDNA, from two mothers – meaning these babies technically have three parents.

It’s still unclear whether all 30 babies turned out healthy.  The Institute for Reproductive Medicine and Science (IRMS) at St Barnabas, participants of the experiment, finally began following up with at least 17 of the now teenagers earlier this year...
http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/28/the-worlds-first-genetically-modified-babies-wi...

I can't say that everything you read in the UK press can be taken as fact.
On the other hand, it would help explain today's teenagers. Wink

Now that I think of it, maybe I should post this GATTACA article in the movie suggestions category.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #276 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 11:51am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

They're getting militant I tell ya!

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/woman-sprays-man-with-mace-during-afi-screenin...

The AFI Film Festival screening of “Mr. Turner” had theatergoers scratching their heads (and eyes) on Monday night when one audience member maced another in the face for asking her to turn off her cell phone

IP Logged

Reply #277 - Nov 19th, 2014 at 6:48pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Mysterious burst of light over Russia leaves scientists, locals guessing
On Friday evening, a yellow flash filled the skies over Russia's sparsely populated Urals region. Was it a meteor? A rocket launch? No one seems to know....

http://news.yahoo.com/mysterious-burst-light-over-russia-leaves-scientists-local...

Youtube videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCH7BpxBOTI

One with naughty Russian words censored:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFSsLyX6N1A

Now if Vladimir Putin starts acting like he just crawled out of a big green pod we really have something to worry about! Actually...now that I think about it... Shocked

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #278 - Dec 5th, 2014 at 9:28am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

IP Logged

Reply #279 - Dec 21st, 2014 at 12:39pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Older Marathoners will probably remember STARLOG Magazine. All issues have now been put online - for Free! See original coverage of many many Marathon entries including this year's MOONRAKER!

http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/entire-run-starlog-magazine-online-free.h...

IP Logged

Reply #280 - Dec 23rd, 2014 at 6:14am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

I remember Starlog fondly, when did they stop publishing?

IP Logged

Reply #281 - Dec 23rd, 2014 at 1:42pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

From Wikipedia.
   "As of December 2008, the official website at Starlog.com had ceased to operate. In March 2009, Starlog became a sister site to Fangoria magazine's official site, with a new url tied to Fangoria. Simultaneously, production was halted on issue #375, May 2009. New content began to appear on the Starlog website on April 7, 2009, after the site returned to its original Starlog.com domain. The folding of the print edition was officially announced on April 8, with the unpublished issue promised in the near future as a web-only publication. However, the website has since shut down.
   In April 2014, Fangoria announced that Starlog would return in the summer of 2014 first as a relaunched website and later in the year as a digital magazine."

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #282 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 11:34am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Once again, How many science fiction movies start out like this:

Mysterious radio signal from space caught live for first time

Astronomers in Australia have picked up an “alien” radio signal from space for the first time as it occurred. The signal, or radio “burst”, was discovered on May 15, 2014, though it’s just being reported by the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. “The burst was identified within 10 seconds of its occurrence,” said Emily Petroff, a doctoral student from Melbourne’s Swinburne University of Technology. “The importance of the discovery was recognized very quickly and we were all working very excitedly to contact other astronomers and telescopes around the world to look at the location of the burst.”

Emerging from an unknown source, these bursts are bright flashes of radio waves that emit as much energy in a few milliseconds as the sun does in 24 hours.  “The first fast radio burst was discovered in 2007,” Petroff tells FoxNews.com, “and up until our discovery there were 8 more found in old or archival data.” While researchers use telescopes in Hawaii, India, Germany, Chile, California, and the California Islands to search for bursts, it is the CSIRO Parkes radio telescope in Eastern Australia that is the first to catch one as its happening.

The cause of these mysterious signals remains unknown, with possible theories ranging from black holes to alien communication. However, UFO hunters shouldn’t get too excited. According to Petroff, “We're confident that they're coming from natural sources, that is to say it's probably not aliens, but we haven't solved the case completely....

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #283 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 11:13pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:

What Could Explain the Mysterious Ring in Antarctica?

by Matt Williams on February 9, 2015

...news of the find and its possible implication spread like wildfire. Initial theories for the possible origin of the ring indicated that it could be the result of the impact of a large meteor. However, since the news broke, team leader Olaf Eisen has offered an alternative explanation: that the ring structure is in fact the result of other ice-shelf processes.

http://www.universetoday.com/118639/what-could-explain-the-mysterious-ring-in-an...

It gets even weirder: The airplane pictured in the article is a DC-3/C-47 - the same type used in the 1951 Howard Hawks classic "The Thing From Another World".

This could be big trouble. What would Ken Tobey do?

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #284 - Feb 25th, 2015 at 12:11am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The Special Effects men who won the Oscar for INTERSTELLAR thanked the scientist Kip Thorne who helped with the story.

But, have the special effects wizards now started teaching scientists a thing or two?

http://astronomy.com/news/2015/02/interstellar-technology-throws-light-on-spinni...

Interstellar technology throws light on spinning black holes

The team responsible for the Oscar-nominated visual effects at the center of Christopher Nolan’s epic Interstellar have turned science fiction into science fact by providing new insights into the powerful effects of black holes.

In a recent paper, the team describe the innovative computer code that was used to generate the movie’s iconic images of the wormhole, black hole, and various celestial objects, and they explain how the code has led them to new science discoveries....

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20