WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20
Re: Today's News Stories (Read 260376 times)
Reply #120 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 5:39pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Metaluna wrote on Mar 31st, 2012 at 4:53pm:
Mars Attacks! Will Be Made Into a Broadway Musical

Sorry, L.A. but it looks like they aren't getting Danny Elfman to do the music.

Personally I love the movie.

BOTH the movie and Danny Elfman's music.......

« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2012 at 12:01pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #121 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 9:27pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 31st, 2012 at 5:39pm:
Metaluna wrote on Mar 31st, 2012 at 4:53pm:
Mars Attacks! Will Be Made Into a Broadway Musical

Sorry, L.A. but it looks like they aren't getting Danny Elfman to do the music.

Personally I love the movie.

BOTH the movie and Danny Elfman's music.......

[img]

In other Mars Attacks news the first issue of the new Mars Attacks comics, due in June, will have FIFTY FIVE different covers. That's a complete set of the original gum cards.
You can order a complete set of the covers for only $199 in a special collectible box.
This year is the 50th anniversary of the original card sets so look for a lot of toys & stuff including a plush martian that I hope to be cuddling at SF 38.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #122 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 11:23am

kirok   Offline
God Member

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #123 - Apr 7th, 2012 at 6:45pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Wow! A Studio exec actually tells the truth for once!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Get a gander at this quote:

"One of the worst movies we ever made was Wolfman. Wolfman and Babe 2 are two of the shittiest movies we put out. … Cowboys & Aliens wasn’t good enough. Forget all the smart people involved in it, it wasn’t good enough. All those little creatures bouncing around were crappy. … Land of the Lost was just crap. I mean, there was no excuse for it. The best intentions all went wrong."

Full piece: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ron-meyer-universal-president-309173

IP Logged

Reply #124 - Apr 7th, 2012 at 9:57pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Quote:
"One of the worst movies we ever made was Wolfman… Cowboys & Aliens wasn’t good enough

Nah...he's still lying! Mrs F and I saw both Wolfman and Cowboys and Aliens and they put out movies way crappier than those two! Wink

The related link on your above link is unintentionally telling of the problem:

How to Save the Movies: A 2012 Box-Office Game Plan
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mission-impossible-tom-cruise-box-office-h...

Quote:
In 2011, for the first time ever, all of the 10 top-grossing films domestically were franchise titles and spinoffs, including Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger. There are even more franchise titles in 2012 than in 2011 -- 28 vs. 25 -- including the final Batman and Twilight films

Just because they were the top ten grossing films in a dismal year doesen't mean the public wants MORE of them! Angry

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #125 - Apr 7th, 2012 at 11:04pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Apr 7th, 2012 at 6:45pm:

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Get a gander at this quote:

"One of the worst movies we ever made was Wolfman. Wolfman and Babe 2 are two of the shittiest movies we put out. … Cowboys & Aliens wasn’t good enough. Forget all the smart people involved in it, it wasn’t good enough. All those little creatures bouncing around were crappy. … Land of the Lost was just crap. I mean, there was no excuse for it. The best intentions all went wrong."

Full piece: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ron-meyer-universal-president-309173

A complete liar..............  Wolfman was a terrific nod to Universal and Hammer and thoroughly enjoyable.   A studio exec.  He is not lying if his lips aren't moving and even then he is thinking up lies.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #126 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 11:12am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

R_F_Fineman wrote on Apr 7th, 2012 at 9:57pm:
...The related link on your above link is unintentionally telling of the problem:How to Save the Movies: A 2012 Box-Office Game Plan
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mission-impossible-tom-cruise-box-office-h...

Quote:
In 2011, for the first time ever, all of the 10 top-grossing films domestically were franchise titles and spinoffs, including Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger. There are even more franchise titles in 2012 than in 2011 -- 28 vs. 25 -- including the final Batman and Twilight films

Just because they were the top ten grossing films in a dismal year doesen't mean the public wants MORE of them! Angry

Were that the truth! Unfortunately, Hollywood only gives a damn about $$$$$$$$$$. Sure, there are a couple of Harvey Weinstein types who care about awards and prestige films, but the majors don't as a whole.

THE AUDIENCE is the problem. It's pretty damning that WRATH OF THE TITANS has already made more than THE ARTIST in 2 weeks than the Best Picture winner has in 20! And, some middling piece of pure product like JOURNEY 2: MYSTERIOUS ISLAND will earn $100M!

Don't #$#$ing go to these pieces of #$#$, and then, and only then, will Hollywood listen.

IP Logged

Reply #127 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 2:53pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Apr 8th, 2012 at 11:12am:
R_F_Fineman wrote on Apr 7th, 2012 at 9:57pm:
...The related link on your above link is unintentionally telling of the problem:How to Save the Movies: A 2012 Box-Office Game Plan

Quote:

Were that the truth! Unfortunately, Hollywood only gives a damn about $$$$$$$$$$. Sure, there are a couple of Harvey Weinstein types who care about awards and prestige films, but the majors don't as a whole.

THE AUDIENCE is the problem. It's pretty damning that WRATH OF THE TITANS has already made more than THE ARTIST in 2 weeks than the Best Picture winner has in 20! And, some middling piece of pure product like JOURNEY 2: MYSTERIOUS ISLAND will earn $100M!

Don't #$#$ing go to these pieces of #$#$, and then, and only then, will Hollywood listen.

You miss the point dear boy.  That is exactly what the public wants and well and why not........ If it's what they want then give it to them......... I don;t have to go see Transformers but if it sells go for it...... I see no problem in that.....

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #128 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 3:44pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Frank wrote on Apr 8th, 2012 at 2:53pm:
You miss the point dear boy.  That is exactly what the public wants and well and why not........ If it's what they want then give it to them......... I don;t have to go see Transformers but if it sells go for it...... I see no problem in that.....

uh, that's actually what I said (about the audience getting what they go out and see).......... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #129 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 4:26pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Apr 8th, 2012 at 3:44pm:
Frank wrote on Apr 8th, 2012 at 2:53pm:

uh, that's actually what I said (about the audience getting what they go out and see).......... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

And as always you only report the part that helps your point.  You also added and conveniently omitted..........
"Don't #$#$ing go to these pieces of #$#$, and then, and only then, will Hollywood listen".  So it is you telling people not to go see that they want to see.   Cheesy Shocked Roll Eyes Please report all of the facts Michael Moore.....not just the ones that help you...

IP Logged

Reply #130 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 5:57pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen...today is Easter: a time when people gather together and share hope and joy. Families everywhere are enjoying the season's lamb and joining in Easter Egg hunts.

In the spirit of the holiday, I submit:

Quote:
Black Sheep (2006)
(Region: 1)
Visit the Official Site

Bonus Clip:
In the main menu, highlight the "Play Movie" sheep. Then, press left. None of the sheep should be highlighted. Then press enter. You should see an outake with Henry, Experience, Tuker and a surprise in bed.

"I ate a bunny!!!!!" Cry -Grant in "Black Sheep"

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #131 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 6:08pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Frank wrote on Apr 8th, 2012 at 4:26pm:

And as always you only report the part that helps your point.  You also added and conveniently omitted..........
"Don't #$#$ing go to these pieces of #$#$, and then, and only then, will Hollywood listen".  So it is you telling people not to go see that they want to see.... [/quote]

Well, if you read all the entries in that thread in a row, my prior post makes sense. I agreed that people are getting what they want. I was ALSO replying R.F.'s post. Gotta read em all in context.........

IP Logged

Reply #132 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 8:58pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Apr 8th, 2012 at 6:08pm:
Frank wrote on Apr 8th, 2012 at 4:26pm:

"Don't #$#$ing go to these pieces of #$#$, and then, and only then, will Hollywood listen".  So it is you telling people not to go see that they want to see....

Well, if you read all the entries in that thread in a row, my prior post makes sense. I agreed that people are getting what they want. I was ALSO replying R.F.'s post. Gotta read em all in context.........
[/quote]

Sorry... that dog won't hunt....
saying this ""Don't #$#$ing go to these pieces of #$#$, and then, and only then, will Hollywood listen"  pretty much negates your point.  But I get it now..... We will have to remember that you speak out of both sides of your mouth. 

I was not saying that people are getting what they want.  I am saying that people SHOULD get what they want and you sir are not saying THAT at all.  People WANT to see what YOU are calling pieces of sh!t... THey don;t see these movies that way and therefore Because it what is putting asses in the seats......

IP Logged

Reply #133 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 7:06pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Den Of Geek's 20 biggest SF film disappointments of the last 20 years.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/1317071/20_of_the_biggest_scifi_cinema_disappoin...

PHANTOM MENACE should clearly be number one. Not the worst film on the list, but, the hopes and expectations were sky high. Tim Burton/Marky Mark's PLANET OF THE APES would be close behind along with the MATRIX sequels. Not sure why BATTLEFIELD EARTH or not one, but two, ALIEN VS. PREDATOR films are listed - did anyone really have high expectations for them?

IP Logged

Reply #134 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 9:12pm

IamJacksUserID   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Ohio marathoner
Gilbert, AZ

L.A. Connection wrote on Apr 12th, 2012 at 7:06pm:
Den Of Geek's 20 biggest SF film disappointments of the last 20 years.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/1317071/20_of_the_biggest_scifi_cinema_disappoin...

PHANTOM MENACE should clearly be number one. Not the worst film on the list, but, the hopes and expectations were sky high. Tim Burton/Marky Mark's PLANET OF THE APES would be close behind along with the MATRIX sequels. Not sure why BATTLEFIELD EARTH or not one, but two, ALIEN VS. PREDATOR films are listed - did anyone really have high expectations for them?

You're right about BATTLEFIELD EARTH, but I think people did have high expectations for the AVP films, especially after the first one tanked and they tried the old "yeah, we know it sucked but we learned our lesson" trick.  And, as it turns out, no they didn't, kind of like what happened with OCEAN'S 13.

Also, it doesn't appear as if they were ranking them numerically in the article, which is always up for debate.  But PHANTOM MENACE would probably be number 1 if they chose to go that route.

Bread makes you fat?!?
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20