WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Break Music Thread (Read 114979 times)
Oct 10th, 2011 at 4:56pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

The first titles are months away, nonetheless it may be a good idea to restart this popular thread.

Caleb has done a great job providing music for many marathons. Currently he is down on Wall Street "sticking it to the man" in a peaceful organized protest, and barring the possibility that the G-men make him Whitey Bulger's room mate, we look forward to seeing him in February.

Last year Mrs F and I did the pre-show and break music selections and enjoyed it greatly. We volunteer again this year and welcome any suggestions regarding songs that would fit with a given title or a general theme.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 3:54pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

You guys did a bang up job last year. Consider the baton officially passed.
I'll chime in with suggestions as the inspiration hits.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 8:49pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I'm greatly appreciative of the efforts of all those involved in putting together the music for the event. My only regret is that we haven't put together a system to have the music play at a bit louder (but not excessive) volume, and have it be uniformally piped through the theater.

A request for next year perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67sMf5RoZC0&feature=related

A score I always listen to in preparation for the 'thon!

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 9:06pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Oct 11th, 2011 at 8:49pm:
My only regret is that we haven't put together a system to have the music play at a bit louder (but not excessive) volume, and have it be uniformally piped through the theater.

There is a way of doing that, but youd have to rent some equipment.

Quote:
A request for next year perhaps?  A score I always listen to in preparation for the 'thon!

I have that score!
     Along with quite a few others.....

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 9:10pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

[quote author=54515B100 link=1318283761/3#3 date=1318385190]

Stop, stop. *spit take*, rent.....(holding sides) some.....(trying to catch breath)equipment.  Comedy is not dead on the board.....

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 9:21pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Frank wrote on Oct 11th, 2011 at 9:10pm:
Stop, stop. *spit take*, rent.....(holding sides) some.....(trying to catch breath)equipment.  Comedy is not dead on the board..... 

I aim to please!
     But really, all yuks aside, by renting a minor piece of equipment you could send the signal into the booth & out into the theatre's sound system.
     If you could stop choking into the toilet, of course....
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2011 at 9:29am by David the Projectionist »  

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 6:51am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
L.A. Connection wrote Yesterday at 9:49pm:

My only regret is that we haven't put together a system to have the music play at a bit louder (but not excessive) volume, and have it be uniformally piped through the theater.
Quote:
Dave responds:

I'm all for that and so, I'm sure, are the nice people who have the misfortune of sitting directly in front of the single loudspeaker that currently pumps the music and the announcement mike. In the early morning hours it was with a heavy heart that I looked out onto their tranquil, sleeping faces and punched in R.E.M's "End of the World."

Speaking of "End of the World", is the first hint of the Marathon lineup upon us? Could LA be sending a secret coded message with his suggestion for a SCORE?  Roll Eyes

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 9:16am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

R_F_Fineman wrote on Oct 12th, 2011 at 6:51am:
I'm all for that and so, I'm sure, are the nice people who have the misfortune of sitting directly in front of the single loudspeaker that currently pumps the music and the announcement mike. In the early morning hours it was with a heavy heart that I looked out onto their tranquil, sleeping faces and punched in R.E.M's "End of the World."

Well, if you can get the Thon to pony up, the thing shouldnt be that expensive.  I'll research it & get back to you.  Who knows?  Maybe you can get the earth to move, & we'll see if Frank laughs & chokes at that!

Quote:
Speaking of "End of the World", is the first hint of the Marathon lineup upon us? Could LA be sending a secret coded message with his suggestion for a SCORE?  Roll Eyes

I know for a fact that not a single movie has been chosen or booked.
     So.....no. Sorry!Cheesy

PS  If there are any soundtracks you need, I can probably help with that.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 10:55am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

[quote author=575258130 link=1318283761/7#7 date=1318429009][quote author=0612123D3A3139353A540 link=1318283761/6#6 date=1318420311]

Well, if you can get the Thon to pony up, the thing shouldnt be that expensive.  I'll research it & get back to you.  Who knows?  Maybe you can get the earth to move, & we'll see if Frank laughs & chokes at that!

You say get the Thon to pony up as if there is some board that opens up its' collective wallet and pays for this stuff.  Most of the stuff that you see is donated.  Stuff that costs money has to be approved by the  G man hisself.  That's where you have to go for this type of stuff unless one of the many wonderful volunteers can come up with something gratis.  Who knows that has happened.  However, if it costs money G and only G can green light it.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 11:24am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Frank wrote on Oct 12th, 2011 at 10:55am:
You say get the Thon to pony up as if there is some board that opens up its' collective wallet and pays for this stuff.

Thats what you guys need!  A Board!  What a splendid idea!
     Cant wait to see you all put that into motion!

Quote:
Stuff that costs money has to be approved by the  G man hisself.  However, if it costs money G and only G can green light it.

Of this, Frank, I am aware.  But if you people are truly interested in pumping the break music into the theatre's sound system, I can let you know how much it would cost.
     And it wouldnt be much.
     Hope youve been well!  Havent seen you since the Jaws screening!

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 8:53am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

LA:
Quote:
Quote:
My only regret is that we haven't put together a system to have the music play at a bit louder (but not excessive) volume, and have it be uniformally piped through the theater

Quote:
Dave responds:

I'm all for finding a sound system that goes up to eleven! Wink

11/11/11 Is Nigel Tufnel Day

Quote:
Enthusiasts of loud (if not necessarily critically acclaimed) music know all about Tufnel. He's the fictional rocker from the semifictional band Spinal Tap who loves to turn his amps up to 11 when he needs that "extra push over the cliff." What better time to celebrate and salute the man and his technique than on 11/11/11?

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/11-11-11-nigel-tufnel-day-185526454.htm...

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Dec 25th, 2011 at 9:44pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

My only regret, back when I was programming between-film music, was never including the Carpenters' "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft (The Recognized Anthem of World Contact Day)."

Note: A special prize will go out at SF37 to the first person who can tell me (right here) the only song I played between films -- I'm pretty sure it was SF28 -- that was actually a recording I made with me on guitar and vocal.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Dec 25th, 2011 at 11:37pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

was it space oddity?
andy warhol?
purple people eater?
is there life on mars?
planet claire?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Dec 28th, 2011 at 12:20am