WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
DRIVE and CONTAGION (Read 22828 times)
Reply #15 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 4:01pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

in wild at heart wilhem defoe blew his head off with a shotgun. it was quite gruesome and in slow motion. some gruesome women were onlooking.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 4:07pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

And none of this has anything to do with Kirok's challenge (which I wasnt attempting to meet), of coming up with a movie in those three genres that had scenes of violence in them similar to the ones found in Drive.
     Not that it matters.
     And the movie still blows. Wink

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 5:54pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Don't know shite about Drive haven't seen  it and as for Kirok's challenge I don't take the challenge quite so literally.  I figured to match the gruesomeness of the described scene with similar scenes of violent behavior.   After all crushig a skull with your girlfriend looking on is pretty sick regardles of how it is accomplished. 

However, Contagion was meh.  It did not blow but it felt familiar and Soderbergh never developed a sense of urgency throughout the movie.  You knew right from the get go that they were going to discover the cure.  It felt more like a throwback to the 70's disaster films right down to the big names and the ridiculous (at times) dialogue.  A lot of talent put to waste.  If Soderbergh is the best, hoo boy....  a lot misses to his hts....

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 8:10pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

As I noted, I think sometimes Soderbergh is too smart for his own (dramatic) good. But, there are few American filmmakers over the past couple of decades who can match his best work such as TRAFFIC, SEX LIES & VIDEOTAPE, OUT OF SIGHT, ERIN BROCKAVICH and KING OF THE HILL.
(and don't dare bring up the Coens or Tarantino in the same breath).
Sure, some of his experiments don't work out (GIRLFRIEND EXPERIENCE, CHE), but, even his oddball stuff can have it's charms like THE INFORMANT!, KAFKA or THE LIMEY. CONTAGION is somewhere in the middle, but it's still a fairly strong piece if not wholly gripping.

And, Frank, you should definately check out DRIVE. I think you'll "get it" along with Joe and I.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 10:40pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 11:32pm

Metaluna   Offline

Frank wrote on Oct 10th, 2011 at 5:54pm:
After all crushig a skull with your girlfriend looking on is pretty sick regardles of how it is accomplished.

You're right, that's pretty awful.

A gentleman would have given her the first crack.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 7:25am

kirok   Offline
God Member

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #22 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 12:05pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Frank wrote on Oct 10th, 2011 at 5:54pm:
However, Contagion was meh.  It did not blow but it felt familiar and Soderbergh never developed a sense of urgency throughout the movie.  You knew right from the get go that they were going to discover the cure.  It felt more like a throwback to the 70's disaster films right down to the big names and the ridiculous (at times) dialogue.  A lot of talent put to waste.  If Soderbergh is the best, hoo boy....  a lot misses to his hts....

See, Frank?  We agree!
     "Meh" covers it pretty well.

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 12:09pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Oct 10th, 2011 at 8:10pm:
(and don't dare bring up the Coens or Tarantino in the same breath).

Hold on here.  Do you not like these people?  I breathlessly await your answer.

Quote:
And, Frank, you should definately check out DRIVE. I think you'll "get it" along with Joe and I.

And you, Tony, should definitely learn how to spell "definitely." Wink
     Blow me a kiss!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2