WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

ANOTHER EARTH and ATTACK THE BLOCK (Read 9833 times)
Oct 8th, 2011 at 6:37pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

ATTACK THE BLOCK is a slambang action comedy from Producer Edgar Wright (SHAUN OF THE DEAD) and first time director Joe Cornish. I went to a sneak preview screening and Wright and Cornish were there in full fanboy mode. Both admitted a fondness for 80s films like THE GOONIES, GREMLINS and THE WARRIORS and the influences show here. I didn't think the whole thing really worked in the end, but the crowd ate it up. Be prepared for some really foul language and a lot of knucklehead behavior.

ANOTHER EARTH is waaay on the other end of the spectrum. It's about the discovery of a second 'Earth' that gets closer and closer to us, and as it does, it proves to be something of a mirror image. But, here, Director Mike Cahill and star Brit Marling (who also co-wrote) turn their focus on an ordinary girl on Earth. Think of all those big apocalyptic SF movies like DAY AFTER TOMORROW, ARMAGEDDON or ON THE BEACH etc. They always have some side story or two about average folks caught up in the big disaster and they pass the time between the big Special effects sequences. ANOTHER EARTH is all about the 'pass the time' subplots! Heck, there are NO big Special effects sequences! There will be folks talking back to the movie and saying, "Hey, they just discovered a sister planet to Earth - the greatest discovery EVER - and we're watching a 5 minute scene of a girl washing the dishes!!! WTF!!?"

And, yet, this thoughtful low key film manages to succeed on its own level as a sort of SF chamber piece. It reminded me a bit of films like this past Marathon's excellent THE QUIET EARTH and the original Russian SOLARIS. Might be a tough sell to the Marathon audience, but is worth seeking out either way. I know Garen is on to this title.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 12:03pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Oct 8th, 2011 at 6:37pm:
ANOTHER EARTH is waaay on the other end of the spectrum. It's about the discovery of a second 'Earth' that gets closer and closer to us, and as it does, it proves to be something of a mirror image. But, here, Director Mike Cahill and star Brit Marling (who also co-wrote) turn their focus on an ordinary girl on Earth. Think of all those big apocalyptic SF movies like DAY AFTER TOMORROW, ARMAGEDDON or ON THE BEACH etc. They always have some side story or two about average folks caught up in the big disaster and they pass the time between the big Special effects sequences. ANOTHER EARTH is all about the 'pass the time' subplots! Heck, there are NO big Special effects sequences! There will be folks talking back to the movie and saying, "Hey, they just discovered a sister planet to Earth - the greatest discovery EVER - and we're watching a 5 minute scene of a girl washing the dishes!!! WTF!!?"

This ran at the BIFF earlier this year; in fact, we received the first print out of the lab (the movie was shot on digital, & looks it), which came with a guard who was instructed not to let the print out of his sight.  I kicked him out of the booth, much to his consternation.  Then I ran the entire print (per instructions from Fox) to make sure it wasnt screwed up.
     The movie was shot on an extremely low budget (hence the lack of SFX), & the director answered questions from the audience after the public screening.  We're on the internet, so I'll hold my some things back, but after his talk, I grabbed him & introduced myself; & asked how he liked the presentation.  He was complimentary -- always good to hear -- & then I looked right at him, & said "youve seen XXXXXXXX quite a number of times, havent you?"  (I'm not mentioning the title of the movie, but there were shots that had been taken directly from it.)  He stared at the floor & said

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2011 at 10:01pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Saw Another Earth at IFFBoston, and found myself in the position of finding it thoroughly average at first and liking it less and less as some of the praise rolled in.  It's got a really nice performance by Brit Marling, but that she suffers guilt so exquisitely really seems to distract people from how many contrivances the story requires, none of it really making a darn bit of sense.  And that's before you get to the awful science, but don't mention that, because caring about the messed-up orbit required (and inevitable tidal effects) gives the movie's defenders a chance to use the "well, you're just too left-brained to appreciate the subtlety in the characterization" excuse.

Bleh.  Attack the Block, at least, is still fun while not quite living up to the hyperbolic praise it's received.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2011 at 11:44am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Jay Seaver wrote on Oct 16th, 2011 at 10:01pm:
Saw Another Earth at IFFBoston, and found myself in the position of finding it thoroughly average at first and liking it less and less as some of the praise rolled in.  It's got a really nice performance by Brit Marling, but that she suffers guilt so exquisitely really seems to distract people from how many contrivances the story requires, none of it really making a darn bit of sense.  And that's before you get to the awful science, but don't mention that, because caring about the messed-up orbit required (and inevitable tidal effects) gives the movie's defenders a chance to use the "well, you're just too left-brained to appreciate the subtlety in the characterization" excuse.

You said it better than I could.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2011 at 8:32pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I think it's a matter of both taste and perspective here on ANOTHER EARTH (much like the discussion of DRIVE). Partisans of ANOTHER EARTH (which got some decent reviews and did well on the Festival circuit) would argue that it's not a straight SF film with all the nuts and bolts (or should I say 'gadgets' and 'dials'?). It's an indie drama that uses the form and structure in order to tell a metaphorical story.

My own comparison would be to many TWILIGHT ZONE (in style not quality, Kirok!)episodes which clearly were not hard SF, but used the conventions and archetypes. And, though most of us love it as one of the greatest TV shows ever - face it, as SCIENCE FICTION it often missed the mark.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2011 at 11:03pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Oct 17th, 2011 at 8:32pm:
I think it's a matter of both taste and perspective here on ANOTHER EARTH. Partisans of ANOTHER EARTH (which got some decent reviews and did well on the Festival circuit) would argue that it's not a straight SF film with all the nuts and bolts (or should I say 'gadgets' and 'dials'?). It's an indie drama that uses the form and structure in order to tell a metaphorical story.

Heres the deal, Tony:
     No, the movie wasnt terrible; god knows, we've all seen worse.  But we've all seen better, as well.
     The problem is that it was, in fact, two movies.  One was a drama, of someone trying to assuage her guilt; the other was this pretty ridiculous thing about a parallel Earth (done to death in comics for decades) that somehow managed to elude detection from all our probes & satellites & telescopes.  And the two stories really didnt have anything to do with each other: they were held together by gossamer.
     You could have struck all that stuff about the second Earth & just stuck to the assuage guilt story & it wouldnt have made a lick of difference.  You could have removed all the guilt stuff & just stuck with how one of the Earths reacted to the presence of the second.
     But there wasnt much of a reason to include both, & the movie was the poorer for it.
     It just didnt work well for me.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 9:05am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Oct 17th, 2011 at 8:32pm:
Partisans of ANOTHER EARTH (which got some decent reviews and did well on the Festival circuit) would argue that it's not a straight SF film with all the nuts and bolts (or should I say 'gadgets' and 'dials'?). It's an indie drama that uses the form and structure in order to tell a metaphorical story.

Oh, do they - I can't tell you how many times I've gotten something along the lines of "You're missing the point, you emotionless robot!" when I point out the bad science.  It's an easy (and, to a certain extent, valid) thing to go to, but it obscures how being bad science fiction is far from the movie's only problem; there are large swatches of the "indie drama" part that I find weak and in their own way as ridiculous as the SF parts.

Like David said, the SF aspect is unimportant until the very last minute, and yet without it, I don't think Another Earth is anything but a pretty generic Sundance moper.  Not bad, and Brit Marling is one to keep an eye on - although I hear her other co-written movie at that fest last year was better - but getting praise well beyond its actual quality.

Besides, the bad science does matter.  If every establishing shot makes my brain yell "No! Wrong!", it's getting in the way.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 10:03am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I have read enough.  I would not mind allowing this one to slip by and fall into the "black hole".  I can always catch up with it on cable or DVD.  However, I suspect that if G "is on to this title" this movie may be in our future......

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 8:38pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I'll just leave the ANOTHER EARTH discussion by re-iterating that it's an interesting lowfi indie that uses some SF tropes to tell an intimate morality tale.
Again, not comparing it in scope, quality or impact, but The Twilight Zone TV series often came up equally woefully short on SF logic. Rod Serling was a master of metaphor and symbolism - but, Isaac Asimov he wasn't.

P.S. As to it falling into the "black hole", I wouldn't count it as a traditional hole falling movie. It's so low budget and under the radar that it wouldn't be an 'obvious' choice for a film that somehow got overlooked and failed to get booked when it was new. Black hole films right now would include something like IRON MAN, AVATAR or WALL-E should they not get shown in the next coupla marathons.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2012 at 8:54am

kirok   Offline
God Member

i just rented it and think it's better than donny darko, as good as the quiet earth and almost as good as gattacca.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged