WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Somerville Theatre News & Updates (Read 64968 times)
Reply #45 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 11:28pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Well, those craptastic television projectors have now mostly been installed, & what a frigging nightmare it has been.  We've had more technical glitches & problems with these terrible tinker-toys over the past three weeks than we've had with the 35mm equipment since I began working here many years ago.  What does that tell you?
     This swill was, as I'm sure most of you must know, forced upon us by the studios.  The amount of money they cost to buy & install!  And the image from these things looks like s h i t.  I mean, absolute S H I T.  (No, Tony, you cant edit that, or I'll leave again.)  I watched a show of Savages -- the latest waste of time from Oliver Stone -- and I couldnt believe how horrible the picture looked: these things are not ready for prime time, yet theyre being installed literally everywhere.

GODDAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!

And, no sooner did these installation of these junkpiles begin when we received a frantic call from Warners -- those of the "just run it on DVD" crowd -- asking us if we could still run film because Christopher Nolan wants his Dark Knight trilogy shown on 35mm.  Ian & I looked at each other in wonder.
     Yes, we can still run 35mm, but only in three of our five houses now (thanks, in no small part, to my screaming my lungs out).  The installations are not yet complete, & there are still some adjustments & tweaks I have to learn how to make, but, as Ive told many people, I cant make a silk purse out of pig poo, & these things are so limited it makes me retch.
     Thanks to some technical shortcoming in its design, the bigass projector in house 1 still isnt operational (try to imagine how broken up I am about that).  We going to have to jump through several technical hoops to make it work, so film is still running there, as well as (currently) house 3: both Dark Knight houses are projecting film, thanks to Nolan's insistence on quality (the quality of the movie itself is another matter).  Unfortunately, the lab work now is so sub-par that the prints we've received dont look as good as the first two Batcrap movies I ran last night.
     Meanwhile, two small rays of sunshine:
     One.  Thanks to this, we've installed stereo & surrounds in houses 2 & 4 (not yet totally completed), and,
     Two.  It looks like the installation of the 70mm sound equipment is going to begin this month, at last, at last.
     Keep your fingers crossed.   Grin

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #46 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 11:59am

Metaluna   Offline

David the Projectionist wrote on Jul 20th, 2012 at 11:28pm:
 ...yet theyre being installed literally everywhere.

Literally? Will I get a heads up when one is scheduled to be put in my bathroom? I don't want it to make me late for work.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #47 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 1:23pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

No doubt that Digital projection stinks. I saw a screening of SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED and there was a shot were it looked like the image was disintigrating. First day it came out. 4K Digital projection. The film was shot in a cheapo digital format to boot. Several of us in the theater gasped. But, hey, who cares. They already had our $12.

I guess the only "good" thing about the Somerville's conversion is that it will open the Marathon up to some more recent titles that are not available in 35mm. Quality be damned......... Sad
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2012 at 6:00pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #48 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 6:52pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Article in the Phoenix about some Projectionist named "David". Not sure, if we ever heard of him?  Cheesy

http://thephoenix.com/Boston/movies/141871-most-exacting-movie-projectionist-in-...

Kind of hard to tell from this mugshot:

IP Logged

Reply #49 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 9:26pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Jul 30th, 2012 at 6:52pm:
Article in the Phoenix about some Projectionist named "David". Not sure, if we ever heard of him?

His origin & purpose still a complete & total mystery.....

IP Logged

Reply #50 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 1:24am

Joe Neff   Offline

To call this article inspiring (while being concurrently depressing) would be an understatement.

Here's to you David!  Keep up the good fight!

IP Logged

Reply #51 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 11:03pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

I realize this is sort of a last minute announcement for you few people still on this almost deserted board, but the Somerville will be running DARKMAN today for Hallowe'en.
     As the connoisseurs of this board surely know, DARKMAN is one of the very best bad movies ever made: a real check-your-brains-at-the-door-and-enjoy-the-ride pile of fun.  And a lot of movie references winks as well.
     Hope some of you show up!

IP Logged

Reply #52 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 11:30am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Updates on the tech of the theater(s)?

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #53 - Apr 22nd, 2014 at 5:31pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

For some reason, I couldnt get on the board for the last few days, so this comes, again, as a last minute thing:

We've acquired (somehow) a show print of Jurassic Park, from 1993.  It's in excellent condition.  For those of you who like this movie, and even for those of you who dont, you will never see this movie better than this, ever.
     I worked for hours yesterday to get the DTS up & running (Jurassic was the first DTS film), and succeeded (!), but, unfortunately, something is wrong with the time code on the print, & the unit wont recognize any reel except reel one (though I'm going to go to the theatre in a few minutes & see if can solve that problem).  Chances are slim, but the fact that the DTS is functional means that the Somerville is probably the only theatre in all of New England that can run that virtually extinct format.
     Hope to see some of you there!   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #54 - May 4th, 2014 at 5:08pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Just received the schedule of silents to be shown from June to November, all on 35mm, all with live accompaniment by my pal, Jeff Rapsis.

All shows on
SUNDAYS
at
2.00pm
!  Mark your calendars!!  Seeing these on film is getting harder & harder, and getting them on film is more difficult still!  The Somerville is rapidly becoming one of the very last venues to INSIST on showing old movies exclusively on film, and I'm rapidly becoming one of the biggest morons on the planet for continuing to work at this dying craft!!

8 June:  Three Keaton films: The Navigator (feature), with The Convict and The Electric House (shorts).

13 July:  Orphans of the Storm.  This rarely shows.

10 August:  Four shorts by Chaplin (all First National):  A Dog's Life (wonderful), Shoulder Arms (pretty good), Sunnyside (okay), and A Day's Pleasure (very okay).

14 September:  The Kid Brother (considered to be Lloyd's best), plus two shorts TBD.

5 October:  The Crowd.  This also rarely shows.

16 November:  The Strong Man (one of Langdon's very best, almost never screens), with two marvellous Keaton shorts, Cops and One Week.

There will also likely be an additional silent film TBD shown for Hallowe'en, plus yet another one shown for our second annual 12 hour horror marathon, which I hope more of you decide to attend.  We like us our silents!
     And if thats not enough, we are also planning a bunch of kids' movies & midnight movies during the summer, all, you guessed it, on film.
     These programmes need all the support they can get, so make sure you spread the news around!  We need butts on seats, people!!  Who else is crazy enough to do this?  Shocked Shocked Shocked

IP Logged

Reply #55 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 11:18pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

We'll be running our annual showing of Jaws on 1 & 2 August, and the print we've received is the best Ive ever seen or run or handled.   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Attendance strongly recommended.

IP Logged

Reply #56 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 1:36pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

David the Projectionist wrote on Jul 26th, 2014 at 11:18pm:
     We'll be running our annual showing of Jaws on 1 & 2 August, and the print we've received is the best Ive ever seen or run or handled.   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Attendance strongly recommended.

WHAT?!! No JAWS 3D!?

IP Logged

Reply #57 - Aug 1st, 2014 at 2:15pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

Metaluna wrote on Jul 21st, 2012 at 11:59am:
David the Projectionist wrote on Jul 20th, 2012 at 11:28pm:
 ...yet theyre being installed literally everywhere.

Literally? Will I get a heads up when one is scheduled to be put in my bathroom? I don't want it to make me late for work.

this will literally happen in your lifetime.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #58 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 7:46pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

COMING TO THE SOMERVILLE THEATRE THIS SUMMER!

We have midnights, & we have two director retrospectives!  ALL FILM PRINTS.  NO DIGITALMUST EMPHASIZE.

MIDNIGHT MOVIES - Saturdays Only

27 June        Kids in the Hall Brain Candy
        11 July         Rock 'n' Roll High School
        18 July         Ferris Bueller's Day Off
        25 July         Blue Velvet
        1 Aug          Heavy Metal
        8 Aug          Serial Mom
        15 Aug         Jaws (plus our regular showings, of course)
        22 Aug         Repo the Genetic Opera

PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON RETROSPECTIVE - Thursday Nights Only

2 July          Hard Eight
        9 July          Boogie Nights
        16 July        Magnolia
        23 July        Punch Drunk Love
        30 July        There Will Be Blood
        6 Aug          The Master (
70mm
)
        13 Aug         Inherent Vice (Warners, for whatever reason, will not send us a 70mm print of this.  We tried.)

SAM PECKINPAH RETROSPECTIVE - Wednesday Nights Only

We'll be running ten of Peckinpah's fourteen features.  What we're skipping:
        The Deadly Companions - disowned by the director
        The Ballad of Cable Hogue - the only Peckinpah film Ive never been able to warm up to
        Junior Bonner - a real gem, but couldnt get for various reasons
        The Osterman Weekend - better than youd think, but we're not running it.

So, that leaves:

1 July          Ride the High Country
        8 July          Major Dundee
        15 July        The Wild Bunch (
70mm
) - no one else around can run this print!
        22 July        Straw Dogs (IB Tech print)
        29 July        The Getaway (IB Tech print)
        5 Aug          Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
        12 Aug        Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
        19 Aug        The Killer Elite with Convoy
        26 Aug        Cross of Iron (only surviving print, rare screening)

It would be nice if the word were passed & attendance were better than we get for the horror marathon we run.  Just sayin'.  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #59 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 9:50pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I guess if you are looking for me on Wednesday nights this summer, you should look for me in the Somerville Theater first.  Thursdays, ditto.

Don't miss this opportunity or come September old man Sykes will say to you:

Here you are, with a handful of holes to thumb up your ass and a big grin to pass the time of day with.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5