WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
While the board was down. What SF did u see? (Read 21592 times)
Reply #15 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 7:40pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I was pleasantly surprised with RISE OF THE APES. It's at least the 4th best Apes film ever. Doesn't have nearly the scope or grandness of scale of the Heston original, but it's light years better than the Marky Mark/Tim Burton atrocity. The story is in some ways parallel to the 4th film in the original saga - CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES.

Also, the writers of RISE were at least familiar with the true life science experiment of the 70s terrifically documented in PROJECT NIM which also came out this summer. It's eerie how many events in RISE mirror the true tale of Nim Chimpsky.

It would make a very thoughtful double feature!

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 12:59pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

The Brattle actually did a Rise/Nim double feature last Thursday.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 9:27pm

MFP4073   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Stay Off The Streets
Boston

I think since we have the "Occupy Boston" crowd sitting in Dewey Square and they most likely have 24 hours to blow we should leaflet the area with SF flyers - I mean come-on they can at least get off the street for 24 hours - the marathon will seem like heaven in comparison to camping next to a highway ramp, not to mention the pissed off homeless - BTW talk about the devolution of society to a less than third world status they are the perfect example of the dissolution of modern civilization, maybe in their honor we can play my favorite "No Blade of Grass" - I didn't even mean that to be funny but didn't the campsite destroy a lawn that cost about $130K - see No Blade of Grass is perfect !!

Stay Off The Streets
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 11:31pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Ahhhhhhh, NO BLADE OF GRASS! Not seen at the Marathon since during its 'teen' years! Coincidently, it will be released on DVD on Nov.1. It's part of the Warner Archive Burn on Demand program: http://www.oldies.com/product-view/1820ED.html

Our screening was pretty rare, as it has been on many "wish lists" for DVD for years and years.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wx4VA7wwqU

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 1:17pm

Metaluna   Offline

No Blade of Grass left me feeling physically ill. And not just because of that awful song.

I think a better movie would be They Live. Marathoids will be provided with special viewing glasses they can wear after the movie.
WAKE UP

Though most will probably choose not to.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 4:20pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

grass was great. it was produced and directed by hollywood legend cornell wild. that was wild's wife as the mom. a good snark was made during the end credits. the disclaimer "no animals were harmed during the production of this film" then a shout "WHAT ABOUT US"

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2