WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
While the board was down. What SF did u see? (Read 21591 times)
Oct 8th, 2011 at 11:02am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

We were down the entire summer. So, what movies, TV shows, comics did you see that you would like to discuss?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2011 at 6:21pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

"T2" -- three times!

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 11:18pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Since the SF portion of this thread got taken over by a discussion of DRIVE (and, to a lesser extent CONTAGION) - hence the split-off to here:

http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1318164506

-- admin

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 2:34pm

Dragonator   Offline
YaBB Newbies
"They're made out of meat!"

I missed a lot of movies this past summer, so my DVD list is quite long.  I recently watched X-MEN: FIRST CLASS… what a bore! 

Considering I’m a fan of the X-men trilogy and this movie received favorable reviews, I was looking forward to it.  Oh well… I think I enjoyed X-Men Origins: Wolverine more so than this one.  This movie franchise has worn out its welcome.  (Maybe Brett Ratner can save it.)

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 3:07pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

origin:wolverine was good. and i will likely see jackman in real steel. did anyone see him on snl 2 days ago. ben stiller was host but jackman showed up for a skit.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 8:21pm

Metaluna   Offline

Does reading count as seeing?

I just finished reading The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin, perhaps best known to marathoids for Lathe of Heaven, which should have been a better marathon experience than it was. Undecided

I liked it but I definitely need to read it again. The plot was not terribly complicated but the cultures of the various peoples living on the planet were.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 10:24pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

I don't think it's fair Tony gets all his stars back and the rest of us start at 1. I'm going to Occupy Somerville!

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 11:35pm

Spatch from the balcony   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Balcony or bust!
Davis Square

But we've been occupying Somerville for years!

For me, Hugh Jackman was the only good thing about X-Men First Class. In fact, I'd say the movie is only good when he's onscreen.

I thought that Captain America was a heck of a lot of fun, though. Saw it in 2D, had an absolute blast, looking forward to the Avengers film a little more.

Source Code was probably the best cinematic depiction of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder I've ever seen. I have no desire to ever see it again.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 11:56pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

Loved Source Code, Attack the Block and Captain America, Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
Really enjoyed Thor, X-Men First Class.
Was ok with Super 8.
Didn't like Priest, Transformers 3.
Napped through Green Lantern, Cowboys & Aliens.
My guilty pleasure that was understandably hated by most but that I really had fun at Sucker Punch.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 9:11pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I really liked most of the big releases last summer, Captain America was great, Rise of the Planet of the Apes was a huge surprise, who knew there could be hope for another remake. Loved the way it covered everything from the original film too.
I thought X-Men First Class was one of the best written superhero films ever.
Cowboys & Aliens might be a good choice for the marathon since it did not do that well but was a fun film.
Saw Apollo 18 and thought it was a good horror film, played  the cramped space scenes well and also how all those spaces had tons of hiding places. The fact I have a bit of an insect phobia helped too.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 11:48am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Loved Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Captain America.
Enjoyed X-Men: First Class, Source Code and Thor was a pleasant surprise.   
Super 8 was a letdown too much of Spielberg in it.  Very familiar territory.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 8:32pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

X-MEN. Guess, I just saw a different film.

I'm not a huge X-MEN fan, but reading the reviews I had pretty solid hopes for this one. The X-MEN series has been just above average.

Something was just off in the execution. There were some decent ideas going on, and I give them props for placing the film in an era where much of its audience wasn't alive in to see (probably accounting for why this is the lowest grossing opening for an X-MEN movie yet). Still, for every well-played bit, there were more that just failed to come off. LOTS of exposition, some of it clever, but much too much of LET'S EXPLAIN EVERY BIT OF THIS TO A 15 YEAR OLD FANBOY. Scenes of wit and insight, grapple and fail against scenes of silly antics and dull philosophising.

Rose Byrne looks totally befuddled if not inept at times. Jennifer Lawrence coming off her terrific work in WINTER'S BONE (a film you all must see) manages to hit the right notes occasionally, but, at other times seems searching for direction. I've long liked Kevin Bacon, but here he just seems to be trying too hard to be "the bad guy", rather than just inhabiting the role. Don't watch Mad Men, but January Jones seems like a very limited actress no matter how well she fills out a costume.

Mediocre and disappointing. A definite "dinner break" movie if it ever wastes a slot at a marathon.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Oct 16th, 2011 at 8:57pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

PAUL: Kind of funny, with some of the best bits coming toward the end.

HELLDRIVER: The best Sushi Typhoon has made, just backed full of crazy zombie action.  (Seen at Boston Underground Film Festival)

ATOMIC BRAIN INVASION: Also from BUFF.  As goofs on fifties sci-fi go, it's not bad.

SOURCE CODE: Great fun.  Not quite up to Moon's standard, but still an impressive little movie.

LIMITLESS:  Not very good.

THOR: Kind of fun, although a bit too loaded down with hooks to other Marvel movies.

X-MEN: FIRST CLASS: Also pretty good, though it sort of seems to be following a checklist more than it needs to toward the end.

SUPER 8: Tons of fun.

GREEN LANTERN: Pretty awful; it's dead-serious when it needs to acknowledge the inherent goofiness of the concept, and silly when it needs to move the story a bit.

KARATE-ROBO ZABROGAR: Saw this one at the New York Asian Film Festival; it's by far the best-looking thing that Sushi Typhoon has come up with; it's a fun little sentai spoof.

CAPTAIN AMERICA: One of the most enjoyable superhero movies of the recent wave, and easily Marvel's best since Iron Man.

COWBOYS & ALIENS: Should have been a fair amount more fun than it was; I kind of think the filmmakers should have gone for simplistic western, rather than the more realistic style.

ATTACK THE BLOCK:  Not quite as great as the hype that came out of the SXSW echo chamber in March, but it is a very solid sci-fi action movie.  Plays the Brattle next weekend; worth a look there or at the 'thon.

LOVE IN SPACE:  More a romantic comedy than sci-fi, although one of the four parallel stories in this Chinese movie takes place on a space station.  Really, really bad.

BUNRAKU: Sort of post-apocalyptic, although it leans more on western and samurai styles than traditional sci-fi.  Spiffy-looking, but a storytelling mess.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Oct 16th, 2011 at 9:40pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

And the stuff from Fantasia:
DEADBALL, YAKUZA WEAPON: Two from Sushi Typhoon starring and co-directed by Tak Sakaguchi with Yudai Yamaguchi.  The latter is much, much better than the former.

TROLLHUNTER: Genuinely hilarious.

LOVE:  Got a fair amount of buzz earlier this year, apparently based in part on the musicians involved (Angels and Airwaves).  It's solidly in the pretty but dull-and-pretentious category.

THE DIVIDE: Sharp immediate post-apocalyptic horror, though very dark and it sort of gets taken over by whoever can improvise loudest.

DETENTION: Frantic high-school comedy that jumps into horror and time-travel and actually makes the latter work.  I liked this one a lot.

MONSTER BRAWL: The idea (classic monsters combined with pro wrestling) is fun, but it does make for a bit of an uneven movie.

THE WHISPERER IN DARKNESS:  By the same crew that did The Call of Cthulhu, this is H.P. Lovecraft adapted in the style of an early talkie to match the original book's release date.  A sincere pastiche, although one which shows the limits of its resources.

EL SOL: Animated post-apocalyptic thing from Argentina.  Kind of amusing, but also shows that the South Park style of clever crudity is a lot harder than it looks.

BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW: A pretty much pitch-perfect recreation of 70s/80s sci-fi of the Phase IV variety - trippy and super-slick.

GANTZ & GANTZ: PERFECT ANSWER: Hey, what do you know - Gantz is actually pretty good when not hobbled by terrible dubbing!  The second half is a nice wrap-up, with one bona fide great action scene.  Bummer they didn't have the unlimited budget necessary to really adapt the manga.

REDLINE: Awesome.  Seriously cool and crazy animated future racing movie from Japan, with a minimum of CGI.  Fast-paced and fun.

INVASION OF ALIEN BIKINI: Sounds like a lot of fun, but the potentially amusing premise gets lost about midway through.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 10:48pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

captain america left me cold. just saw it in the second run theater for 3 bucks. glad i waited. disintegrator beams versus machine guns and 1 strong guy with a good shield that doesn't cover his whole body? i'd bet on the beams every time.[|3{|

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2